• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who sell carb rebuild kits

Engine5

Ok,
This is what I got. I just picked up a 1.5 Kw 2AO16 -111.
I am getting fuel up to the carb but it is not going any futher than that. It runs off ether when I spray it righ in the choke end though. I am assuming a carb rebuild may fix it ,any ideas?

Attachments

Engine5

I tried Saturn Surplus, all they have is NOS carb's no more rebuild kits. But $70 something for a carb is not too bad I guess. And thanks I will keep it in mind about the heads.

Carl_in_NH

Have you taken the carb apart? Try it without the rebuild kit - just be careful to not tear any paper gaskets. They are really brittle when old.

The carb on my MEP-017A - powered by a 2A042 - was full of rust and other crud in the bowl, and the needle and seat were really dirty. I pulled it apart, cleaned everything with a small wire brush and carb cleaner, and put it back together. Works fine now. Since you know it's not working, and you're considering a replacement carb you've got nothing to loose.

I did buy a new carb for my 2A042 - but it was only $39, so I figured it would be worth having. It's still in the box.

Carl_in_NH

I bought my 2A042 carb from Saturn - along with plugs, air and oil filters, and a number of other small items. Don't forget to get a plug wrench for the shielded plugs if you're planning on a tune-up.

Engine5

Well I dl'ed the TM on the genny and engine. Took the carb apart ,cleaned it and put it back together. Then according to the TM your supposed to prime the carb with the primer lever. There is none on this genny. I gave it a shot of ether and she started up and ran great. So I shut it down, picked it up proceeded to carry it out side where it slipped and went over sideways. Then oil came out of the side of the carb and rubber boot that protects the lever in the points box. No she wont fire again.:roll: I am assuming oil got somewhere it was not supposed to. Any ideas.

Engine5

it is a nice little genny, ran nice till I tipped it over on its side. Now I guess I have to wait for all the oil to drain out from where its not supposed to be. Let me know how the new carb works out.

I have 4 right now... there just seems to be the float issue. I'm trying a few experiments to see if there's something Gas proof that the floats could be coated with. having a rebuild kit or 2 if they're out there I'd be happy too.

Saturn has Carbs for 70some bucks and replacement bowl gaskets... but that's it.

Engine5

I got it running again. It runs fine till I shut it down then try to start it again. It has to sit for an hour to cool down before I can start it. Cant figure this one out.

hurst01

Well I dl'ed the TM on the genny and engine. Took the carb apart ,cleaned it and put it back together. Then according to the TM your supposed to prime the carb with the primer lever. There is none on this genny. I gave it a shot of ether and she started up and ran great. So I shut it down, picked it up proceeded to carry it out side where it slipped and went over sideways. Then oil came out of the side of the carb and rubber boot that protects the lever in the points box. No she wont fire again.:roll: I am assuming oil got somewhere it was not supposed to. Any ideas.
It is possible that you got oil on the points. If that be the case it may be a bear to get them clean again. Just the oil from your finger tips is enough to cause it to not start. I would try some contact cleaner that is available usually at any auto parts store or, if nothing else, radio shack? Try spraying it on the point contacts and anywhere else that you see the oil that is close to the ignition parts. Hold the points open and spray them to get them clean. (I am assuming that you don't have another set)
Check the plugs and make sure that they don't have oil on them. Starting fluid does a pretty decent job of degreasing the plugs.

Ed

Engine5

Ed, Thanks for the info. I will look into the ebay thing for sure. I managed to get it running again. But she is tough to start after running a while. I gotta let it cool down first. I dont know why its like that.

Guyfang

Staff member
I helped someone last year with this problem. But it was a PM, and so no thread to look up. There are carbs for sale, in fleebay, sometimes. But repair parts, very, very hard to find at all. The Milatary simply did not bother to repair the carb. Toss it away. Put a new one on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks