• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Uses the Recommended Starting Procedure?

tgtaylor64

Above 32°F, do you hold the accelerator pedal down half way while starting? Below 32°F, do you hold it down all the way?
One of my M1009s will start the first time without any pedal holding after one GP cycle. I have tested this down to around 19°F! The other one requires more than one cycle of the GPs with holding the pedal down. Just wanted to know how yours starts.

epartsman

So far 1 cycle, no pedal, have not tried it below 32 deg F in N. Florida yet. Has only been that cold 1 day here so far. I have not made any mods to the GP's yet but I am thinking about switching the wire to the 12V Bus.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part way down with the pedal. It helps the cold start solenoid goto high idle. Also starts better.

sandcobra164

Started mine yesterday morning at around 20F. Forgot the pedal, 1 cycle of GP's and started right up. Bumped the pedal to set fast idle and left to let it get the ice off the windshield. Runs like a top!! I concur with Mistaken1, I'm not an engineer and certainly wasn't when the Chevy 6.2 was designed. They decided to include it on the starting procedure, I just try and follow it.

idM1028

One cycle of the glow plugs and a quick blip of the throttle as soon as the truck gets started for me. Then just let the truck sit and warm up before driving. Works like a charm for me. I've used this technique all the way down to 0 degrees F and I haven't had to hit the key for much longer than 5 seconds. I don't really trust myself to down where halfway down is and I don't think it's really necessary to be revving the truck right at start up. Plus it's kinda muscle memory-worst case scenario, the truck is in slow idle at start up and I just revved it a little.

trooper632

On the M1009, I turn the key on, then little pressure on gas peddle till i feel the fast idle solenoid catch then after glow plugs cycle once turn the key, fires right up. You wont feel the catch in the gas peddle though unless you turn the key foward as the high idle solenoid is electrically activated,. Now on the M1028 i usually cycle the glow plugs twice, doesnt start as easy as the ol $400 M1009.

armytruck63

Recommended procedure works for me. Half throttle in the summer, full throttle in the winter. Of course, I'm off the throttle as soon as she starts to light up.

BIG_RED

^Yeah, don't rev it up before the oil gets there. On my '09 I don't touch the pedal in the summer or if she's warm, or if she's been plugged in (block heaters) and she starts fine. Like 0.5 seconds tops and she's rumbling away. If it's -40* and she's been left outside untouched for 5 days - Pedal to the metal and let off as she starts firing just enough to keep her firing but not enough to take her above idle. I don't do that often. She doesn't like that. Only in bad circumstances when I really need my truck.

MUDDUCK

I do a half peddle and one GP cycle when its in the forties and fifties.

Full peddle and two GP cycles when in the the thirties and below.

Works every time... knock knock

jw4x4

I have always just mashed the pedal to the floor, turned the key until the glow plug light goes out, then engaged the starter without touching the pedal. Engine starts within a second. Stays at high idle until it warms up some then down to normal idle. Always use the block heater any time its under 25 degrees. Defroster works virtually immediately that way. So far, so good.

Ando427

When I give it throttle as it's starting it does once I remove my foot from the gas pedal, granted I do this pretty quickly as I don't want to sit there revving the engine like crazy. No throttle application and she starts right up. My IP does leak from the throttle shaft, maybe that could be contributing to why it dies?

cucvrus

That can very much contribute to that issue. it loses prime and drops the fuel. it is hard on the entire starting system. My experience ahs been if the throttle shafts are leaking may as well get the pump rebuilt. These trucks are not getting any newer. And other internal injection pump parts are sure to follow close behind. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks