• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whoa Buddy !

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I misread your post, thought you where going with an electric IP. I briefly talked to the guy doing Swfb's supercharger to ask if he had throttle cable brackets to clear the dual t-stat crossover and he mentioned an electric IP, fly by wire I guess or maybe he confused IP and LP as well? How did you sort yours out? Fabricating your own?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Realize at those numbers, that blower is going to consume 25 Hp at 3600 RPM..proportional to engine speed regardless of throttle. Meaning boost when not needed which dilutes part throttle cylinder temperature..
Gasoline engines get away with a blower either with a bypass or having the blower pull through. In the latter, manifold vacuum reduces mass flow so there is no parasitic loss at part throttle.

Turbo engines are throttle linked as they operate off exhaust heat. So boost at part throttle is limited. Turbines with variable geometry are even better as back pressure is minimized.

I'm not saying a blower won't work on a diesel, it just needs a bypass circuit linked to the throttle. Otherwise part throttle flame quench is possible. Instead of rolling coal, you will roll snow ;)
Keith, I will attempt to respond to your comments. Unlike a turbocharger, a supercharger will provide absolute inverse reactive power, similar to a unilateral phase detractor or a turbo encabulator, while at the same time being capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grameters of the modial interaction, as well as the magneto reluctance and capacitive deractense of the prefabulated amulite. This power from the supercharger is delivered in a direct line with a parametric fram, and simply consists of six hydro coptic marshall veins that fit into the patient lunar wayne shaft, which effectively prevents side fumbling. If you find all this scientific language a little difficult to follow, you may want to watch my YouTube video I posted on the subject.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I misread your post, thought you where going with an electric IP. I briefly talked to the guy doing Swfb's supercharger to ask if he had throttle cable brackets to clear the dual t-stat crossover and he mentioned an electric IP, fly by wire I guess or maybe he confused IP and LP as well? How did you sort yours out? Fabricating your own?
I am producing a cardboard mock-up now of the size and position if the snout. It appears that the throttle bracket will just-barely clear. If necessary I can easily modify the bracket ro provide clearance for the snout.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
DB2-4811 mechanical pump built by Huckstorf Diesel in Wisconsin. 31 mm plunger and rotary head. Calibrated to 250 hp with capability to up-screw based on engine requirements of the supercharger. No computer. To my knowledge, there has never been a supercharger installed on a P400 engine, so all of this is uncharted water. I plan to abandon the new HMMWV lift pump and install a new AC DELCO electric fuel pump with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge T’d in just before the injection pump to monitor that there is adequate fuel to satisfy the HP requirements. I’m just going to have to get it all together and then get it on the road to see what adjustments will be needed. The whole process will be fun.
May I recommend a stock 6.5 fuel pump? The reason I say that is because they will allow fuel to flow if they happen to go out. Some of the electric fuel pumps will not flow fuel if it blows a fuse or craps the bed. Just something to be aware of!

Reactions: 98G

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I recommend a stock 6.5 fuel pump? The reason I say that is because they will allow fuel to flow if they happen to go out. Some of the electric fuel pumps will not flow fuel if it blows a fuse or craps the bed. Just something to be aware of!
Gimp - I currently have a new GEP HMMWV fuel lift pump on the engine. However the issue has been raised that the stock pump may not provide adequate fuel for 250-300 hp. I have not been able to find any information regarding the stock pump's flow rate. I actually thought about leaving the stock pump in place and adding an electric pump upstream. I am adding the passenger-side saddle tank, and plan to plumb both tanks to a hand-operated valve on the bed floor between the bucket seats. I even considered plumbing 2 electric pumps on a left-off-right switch, so in the event that one pump "craps out", the other side pump can get me back to civilization. The problem with placing 100% total reliability on the stock lift pump is the difficulty of changing a defective pump in the middle of nowhere, at night in sub-zero temperature, with weak batteries in the only flashlight. By abandoning the stock lift pump in favor of 2 electric pumps (1 for each tank), the probability of making it back home will be greatly increased. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Keith_J

Instead of fiddling with injection quantity, why not add methanol at wide open throttle? Yes, you will need a big tank. This could be used instead of intercooler..blowers are horribly inefficient and that means heating the air instead of pressurization.

There is a reason all 4 stroke diesels use turbochargers..and 2 strokes only use blowers for scavenging. Yes, there are turbocharged 2 stroke diesels. The blower acts as a dynamic check valve.

I did not see any mention of a bypass for this 6.5 blower setup..but the advert is sparse on technical info.

LT67

Gimp - I currently have a new GEP HMMWV fuel lift pump on the engine. However the issue has been raised that the stock pump may not provide adequate fuel for 250-300 hp. I have not been able to find any information regarding the stock pump's flow rate. I actually thought about leaving the stock pump in place and adding an electric pump upstream. I am adding the passenger-side saddle tank, and plan to plumb both tanks to a hand-operated valve on the bed floor between the bucket seats. I even considered plumbing 2 electric pumps on a left-off-right switch, so in the event that one pump "craps out", the other side pump can get me back to civilization. The problem with placing 100% total reliability on the stock lift pump is the difficulty of changing a defective pump in the middle of nowhere, at night in sub-zero temperature, with weak batteries in the only flashlight. By abandoning the stock lift pump in favor of 2 electric pumps (1 for each tank), the probability of making it back home will be greatly increased. Your thoughts?
This set up is going to eat some fuel. Hopefully you won't dip into the gallons per mile category lol

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From my understanding the lift pump on a 6.5 indeed allows flow when it's not working. A good IP should be able to draw fuel by itself although it (drastically) shortens its lifespan. It should get you home though.

I've contemplated installing 2 6.5 lift pumps stacked on top of each other (inside the frame, same location as a 6.5 truck) with soft lines going in and out of one. Plugs in the other. If the main pump craps out it should only take 2 minutes to connect the lines to the other pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From my understanding the lift pump on a 6.5 indeed allows flow when it's not working. A good IP should be able to draw fuel by itself although it (drastically) shortens its lifespan. It should get you home though.

I've contemplated installing 2 6.5 lift pumps stacked on top of each other (inside the frame, same location as a 6.5 truck) with soft lines going in and out of one. Plugs in the other. If the main pump craps out it should only take 2 minutes to connect the lines to the other pump.
Yeah I had the same thought about stacking 2 electric pumps together. But then I decided to install the passenger side tank and had the idea of having an electric pump for each tank, controlled by a manual valve and power switch for the pumps. This design will provide redundancy so if one pump craps, the other can keep me going. The key to monitoring the system will be the mechanical fuel pressure gauge plumbed into the line just upstream from the IP. Your thoughts?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I had the same thought about stacking 2 electric pumps together. But then I decided to install the passenger side tank and had the idea of having an electric pump for each tank, controlled by a manual valve and power switch for the pumps. This design will provide redundancy so if one pump craps, the other can keep me going. The key to monitoring the system will be the mechanical fuel pressure gauge plumbed into the line just upstream from the IP. Your thoughts?
On 6.5 trucks the lift pump gets power from the oil pressure switch. However they are known to fail frequently as they can't handle the current draw so most people add a relay to this system. Wiring diagrams can be found all over, like the diagram in the third post here (this one includes a second relay for priming while glowing). That's how I plan to power my lift pump.

For the dual tanks I would have 1 toggle switch in the cab to switch between left or right fuel tank/pump. Wire the tank sending units over this switch as well so the fuel gauge shows the level of fuel in the currently selected tank. Or through their own toggle switch so you can check the fuel level of the other tank while the engine is running.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the dual tanks I would have 1 toggle switch in the cab to switch between left or right fuel tank/pump. Wire the tank sending units over this switch as well so the fuel gauge shows the level of fuel in the currently selected tank. Or through their own toggle switch so you can check the fuel level of the other tank while the engine is running.
Yes that is exactly how I plan to wire up the pumps. Thanks for your comments.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This set up is going to eat some fuel. Hopefully you won't dip into the gallons per mile category lol
I am prepared to let this engine eat as much fuel as it wants. I am looking forward to it. I have a credit card with unlimited cash available. I am spending my daughter's inheritance so I really don't care how much it costs. She will never know :ROFLMAO: .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks