• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who's broke down on I-75 Florida??

rlwm211

I second the cutoff tool. I think using a puller is probably a waste of time and using a torch would be my last resort. A plasma cutter would work well but you have to be oh so very careful.

However, I would cut it parallel to the spindle so if you go through it is in line with the stress of the weight on the spindle and does not allow a crack to spiral around the spindle if it comes to that. Even so, I would be very concerned about the damage the excess heat may have done to the spindle. Look for heat stressed metal on the spindle evidenced by blueing or scorch marks.

Several posts gave good instructions about cutting almost all the way through and smacking the crack with a chisel and BFH. This problem is sort of similiar to trying to remove a carrier bearing on a driveshaft. They never "pull" off easily and if they do, that is a problem in and of itself. Most backyard mechanics will use a torch if they have it, but the cutoff wheel is the way to go here.

I don't as of yet have an air powered cutoff wheel so I use a dremel tool with somewhat oversize fiber reinforced cut off wheels. Believe it or not, I have used a standard dremel on my deuce mostly to clean up threads that have been burred or to cut small hardware that I cannot get loose. That size tool is good to about 3/8" inch and is remarkable as to what it can do with a steady hand operating it.

I hope you get this truck back on its wheels and moving under its own power soon.

Life is just not the same without your deuce carrying you along.

RL

hdexpert

Oilcan and I had the same thing happen to his 5 ton tractor on the way over to PA to recover my deuce. Got so hot it blew the tire at highway speed!!! Once everything cooled off we tried to remove the inner bearing race which had welded itself to the spindle. Never got it off, a SS member went above and beyond and brought a spindle and all related parts to us (he was two hours away). He builds monster trucks at his house and probably has a good used spindle for you. His name is Adam and his SS handle is Adamsoffroadperformance. Send him a PM, he's a great guy!!! Good luck, glad you got it home.

1978davidw

I had the same problem happen last week luckily we have an equipment trailer we went and pick up our truck and got it tore down today. Our outer bearing went out and spun on the spindle till it ruined it. im in need of a good spindle and 2 spindle nuts if anyone has one id be more than willing to work with anyone to purchase one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks