• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why are the GL Deuces from Texas so beat?

Keith_J

Rick,
While it's well known that the military (all branches) are regularly criticized for the lack of genious they apply to many decisions, the cannibalization of equipment actually dates back to prehistoric times and the "survival of the fittest".

When unit a has a "dead truck" in the motorpool, and some problem more minor comes up on another truck, it's simple supply and demand that says, "go rob that part we need from the "lot lizard" and we'll get this one up and running quickly." They always plan to go back and fix the "lot lizard", but eventually, when it has to stand upon its own horribly cannibalized value, it need too much inve$tment to restore to operational readiness. The "lot lizard" is never selected based on age or desirability, it is simply the slowest Gazelle in the fleeing herd and the lion pounces upon it simply for the nutrition it will provide to the fighting lion (the rest of the motorpool).

and that is your survival lesson for the day.
Never in a RA unit. Readiness demands ALL vehicles MC.

Now DOL has sources for parts, usually called the "bone yard" but this is direct support call and they MAY put unit-level parts into the system at requests, especially for older vehicles like the M35.

IMHO, most of the A2s are from training posts, San Antonio has a few large ones with Camp Bullis and Medina Annex (Lackland AFB).

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never in a RA unit. Readiness demands ALL vehicles MC.

Now DOL has sources for parts, usually called the "bone yard" but this is direct support call and they MAY put unit-level parts into the system at requests, especially for older vehicles like the M35.

IMHO, most of the A2s are from training posts, San Antonio has a few large ones with Camp Bullis and Medina Annex (Lackland AFB).
Thank you for the clarification.

As I recall, Ft. Meade, Md. had a "Post Cannibalization Center" when I was there 1976-1979.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it then the abuse the trucks are subject to during (recruit/driver?) training that has them showing up on the GL lot looking like stir fry?

Rick

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Is it then the abuse the trucks are subject to during (recruit/driver?) training that has them showing up on the GL lot looking like stir fry?

Rick
No. Recruits rarely, if ever, get their military drivers license until they get to their first duty assignment. At this point, the vehicles are just getting old and the fact the training units don't have the maintenance support a field unit would have. The base motorpool probably does anyting over operator level maintenance on these vehicles and they don't like to work on tactical stuff. I think it gets their hands dirty (LOL).

Fort Sam Houston is still using way more than just a few right now. Not sure what the AF has in the vicinity.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We picked up my deuce at Fort Sam about 45 days ago and while we were there had a good walk-through of the deuces. Estimate about 30% in good shape, 30% in fair shape, and the rest could be used to good parts trucks. You really need to preview the animal you want. Most pics you look at do not portray the actual condition of the truck.

I did not and I got real lucky, good body, low miles, good cover, AND we drove it 360 miles to the house. This was after changing batts, topping off fluids, and several emergency stops to verify the brakes worked.

Last edited:

SouthTexasDiesel

National Guard trucks around here can get pretty beat up. The NG help the US Border Patrol out a lot, especially during times of high traffic. I'm in some pretty tough country where I live and my M35 loves it, I put it to work every week. But west of me near Laredo, Del Rio, and especially out near Fort Davis and El Paso the country just get down right evil. I had to drive to Oklahoma to pick up my Deuce, couldn't fine one around here in good shape.

Not to mention there is a lot of salt in our soil, gotta be careful if you are off-road too much and need to wash your undercarriage.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah but they are not rustbuckets like some Northern ones.. I've hestiated taking mine to the coast due to it getting a coating of sea salt.

Some of the pics might look junkier than the actual trucks because of the picture taker's own methods for taking pictures.

Pawnshop

A LOT of the trucks sold by GL from Ft.Sam do not get picked up (for various reasons) so the trucks on there lately are the culls from several previous auctions. One truck down there has been sold at least three times...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A LOT of the trucks sold by GL from Ft.Sam do not get picked up (for various reasons) so the trucks on there lately are the culls from several previous auctions. One truck down there has been sold at least three times...
I just cannot understand this? People drop $700-1200 on a truck, then default because they don't like the looks of it? That is a wasteful game to play.

Pawnshop

There are a lot of bidders in other states that don't realize how much it costs to transport, but buy anyway. And some people want more than they pay for so they are disappointed when they see it in person I guess... I have been happy with the two I got from Ft.Sam.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is currently a local truck that has sold at least 3 times since this spring and now they just have it listed as scrap. As Pawnshop said, maybe they didn't understand the cost of shipping or didn't realize what it was going to cost to get it going. I do know one of the winning bidders on it and his problem was the EUC didn't clear in time and they "no sale'd" him. So it's not always defaults that cause them to come up again, but I can't imagine they did "no sales" on the same truck 3 different times.