• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why Blue Hummer Spindle Nuts? Hummer H1’s video answer!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
NOW, I don't know what is correct. (throwing wrenches down...clang bang clink)

The TM or a comic book. LOL... Everyone have a nice day. Bottom line check those TABS. CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with RWH, this type of bearing retainers have been in use since the beginning of the automotive industry and have been used on millions if not billions of applications.
There are folks out there that take advantage of any type of hysteria and especially new comers to the HMMWV world fall prey to these shysters.

springer1981

I opted to go with the EVC designed nut but would have been perfectly fine with the original locking tab as well. They give a bit more positive locking than the original tab lock IN MY OPINION. Having used locking tabs in many applications for years, the part I never liked is it relies on just 1 small tab in a slot on the shaft. You can have 1 or 3 or 10 bent tabs but there is still just 1 tab holding it. See picture below.

tab.jpg

The EVC nut doesn't use the tab locking washer but uses thread jam nut. The disadvantage (to some, not me) is the steering knuckle cover needs to be opened up to clearance the slightly larger hex nut. These nuts run about $40 each vs $25 each for the tab setup vs $150 each for the BlueNut.

locknut1a.jpg

locknut2a.jpg

RWH, Nice catch on the nut being installed wrong in the video. I don't have enough experience with the hubs to notice that.

SmartDrug

I replied to the thread, thus no need to quote ….if I was replying to a particular post in a thread as I am now, it’s in quotes.

I wasn't the only one confused by your post, I spent time out of my day to try to help another member understand what I thought you meant. I didn't correct you, I didn't say you were wrong, I tried to explain what I thought you meant. If that offended you, I'm sorry. When you get bent out of shape and feel the need to correct someone who is attempting to clarify something, it makes this a more hostile place than it needs to be. Next time I won't bother, I hope the rest of your day gets better.

springer1981

I wasn't the only one confused by your post, I spent time out of my day to try to help another member understand what I thought you meant. I didn't correct you, I didn't say you were wrong, I tried to explain what I thought you meant. If that offended you, I'm sorry. When you get bent out of shape and feel the need to correct someone who is attempting to clarify something, it makes this a more hostile place than it needs to be. Next time I won't bother, I hope the rest of your day gets better.
The hardest part about posting on a forum is the lack of voice inflection. The text could be read many ways but the intent can easily be mistaken. In my opinion, it didn't seem like anyone was bent out of shape or had any bad intentions. I think RWH only meant to clarify his post, not attack yours. I try to assume the positive unless it is blatantly obvious. Don't stop posting or replying, thanks!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hardest part about posting on a forum is the lack of voice inflection. The text could be read many ways but the intent can easily be mistaken. In my opinion, it didn't seem like anyone was bent out of shape or had any bad intentions. I think RWH only meant to clarify his post, not attack yours. I try to assume the positive unless it is blatantly obvious. Don't stop posting or replying, thanks!
Exactly…

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The only one who seems offended is you, I’m not sure how you arrived at all of this…I posted that the damn nut was backwards, I posted about the spindle nuts In General and pics, nothing to get all worked up about

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backwards parts. Loose bolts…

Ultimately, this proves we can’t trust GovPlanet hubs and spindles.

Blue Hummers are a good solution.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opted to go with the EVC designed nut but would have been perfectly fine with the original locking tab as well. They give a bit more positive locking than the original tab lock IN MY OPINION. Having used locking tabs in many applications for years, the part I never liked is it relies on just 1 small tab in a slot on the shaft. You can have 1 or 3 or 10 bent tabs but there is still just 1 tab holding it. See picture below.

View attachment 885496

The EVC nut doesn't use the tab locking washer but uses thread jam nut. The disadvantage (to some, not me) is the steering knuckle cover needs to be opened up to clearance the slightly larger hex nut. These nuts run about $40 each vs $25 each for the tab setup vs $150 each for the BlueNut.

View attachment 885497

View attachment 885498

RWH, Nice catch on the nut being installed wrong in the video. I don't have enough experience with the hubs to notice that.
That clamp nut is for REV trucks, requires newer steering arm cover to fit them, similar is design of the clamp nut used on the H1, the H1 design is terrible.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 885496

View attachment 885497

View attachment 885498

There is no twisting motion that the keyed retainer is subjected to, there is a large washer #28 with a tab behind the retainer that prevents anything from trying to turn or twist the retainer, again this same type of design is used in millions of applications.
hub.JPG
The only way it can fail is if it is improperly installed.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not here to pee on any parade... BUT which way does the nut go on. Seem the PS and the TM have it both ways ??

Flip a coin, put it on, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The taper goes towards the retainer, the TM, picture and PS all the same to me.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like this thread has become a bit divisive. Sorry.

My point is that spindle nuts can’t be trusted.

springer1981

That clamp nut is for REV trucks, requires newer steering arm cover to fit them, similar is design of the clamp nut used on the H1, the H1 design is terrible.
I said EVC but should have said REV... either way, my plan is to use my steering arm cover and open the inside of it to accommodate the nut.

springer1981

There is no twisting motion that the keyed retainer is subjected to, there is a large washer #28 with a tab behind the retainer that prevents anything from trying to turn or twist the retainer, again this same type of design is used in millions of applications.
View attachment 885512
The only way it can fail is if it is improperly installed.
Yes, I am aware of the other washer and the clamp load etc. I'm still planning to use the REV version.

blutow

My point is that spindle nuts can’t be trusted.
My take away is that unknown people maintaining vehicles can't be trusted. I'd bet all variations of the spindle nut locks could could fail if installed improperly. Some of the versions are more "idiot proof" than others, but I don't think there is an issue with any of them if they are properly installed.

springer1981

View attachment 885496

View attachment 885497

View attachment 885498

My plan hit a glitch, I ordered the parts from Midwest Military but they sent the wrong parts and when I contacted them it turns out they don't have them in stock. Rather than putting on paid back order (eta 120 days) they refunded my money and told me I could buy them when they come in. Of course they won't honor the sale price I bought them for on their website. They will be happy to resell them to me at retail when they come in, $70 or 80 each.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks