• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do i need a deuce? Cause their sweet!

standclear

Im new here and i have been trying to figure out a good reason why i should get a deuce. i have been looking at getting one for the past 4 years. the only thing that i would use it for would be for camping, quading trips, scaring people around town, O and the occassional hunting trip. But i have a couple of question for you guys that own one.

1. what kind of speed can you get on the highway? whats the rpm at that speed?
2. how much does the thing cost to fill up and how far can you get on one tank?
3. i know that you can haul around 7,000 - 10,000 lbs or so in the back of the truck, but how much can you tow behind?
4. i live in alberta so would i need to get a class 3 licence because it has 3 axles?
5. i know that there are a lot of compaines that sell parts for the rockwells, but can you still get parts for the rest of the truck?

Any info will help.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
1. 55ish at 2550 on 900 20 tires (redline)
2. Depends on fuel price & how heavy your foot is (50 gallon tank)
3. the towing/hauling capacities are the same
4. no idea
5. several good venders out there can supply all you need.(I like ODiron personally)

Edit:
#2 I don't like to ever drop below 1/4 tank which gives me roughly 38 gallons before I stop for fuel. I generally get between 8-10 mpg (normally empty), so the truck can do close to 7 hrs, which is more than its operator.

Last edited:

Chevytruck

for a deuce you would not need a CDL except for California (3rd axle there i believe requires a higher license than class C)

and if you live in the northern areas with a lot of snow it would be pretty useful

FreightTrain

Banned
1. what kind of speed can you get on the highway? whats the rpm at that speed?
On my 2 around 2600RPM at 55MPH have had it burried over 60MPH(with S280,High rise M105,and about a ton of wreckermans junk in both) before I ran outta RPMs.Ask wreckerman.

2. how much does the thing cost to fill up and how far can you get on one tank?
Here...it cost about $125-150 from dead dry.50Gallon fuel tank.

3. i know that you can haul around 7,000 - 10,000 lbs or so in the back of the truck, but how much can you tow behind?
You can haul 5,000Lbs off road.10,000lbs on road per specs in the bed.Pintle is rated for 10,000lbs.But there are people on here that have gone WAY over all those specs.Problem is not will it carry and move it but will it stop behind or on top of the minivan full of children.

4. i live in alberta so would i need to get a class 3 licence because it has 3 axles?
uhhhh????

5. i know that there are a lot of compaines that sell parts for the rockwells, but can you still get parts for the rest of the truck?
OD iron,Saturn Surplus,Memphis equipment,White Owl,Clark truck,Boyce Equipment,Ted's Trucks and stuff.

Any info will help.

m109guy

Hello fellow Canadian. I am glad you are deciding on taking the deuce plunge. The biggest, and worst problem about buying a deuce is.........that one is not enough! I have 6 of them, and am always on the lookout for another :-D

I will not bother to answer questions 1,2,3 & 5 because the other guys have already done a great job of answering your questions.

As for #4, needing a class 3 (straight body truck weighing over 4,500kgs) license to drive a deuce, it is a no. Unless the truck is registered in the name of a company you do not need a class 3 license to drive the truck. A regular class 5 is just fine. Remember, there are a lot of people who drive the huge motor-home buses and only need a regular class 5 license to drive them.

I have my class 3 license. I got it before I ever owned a deuce, but it is not needed. It is not a bad thing to get if you are interested, but not necessary as long as the deuce is registered in the name of a private individual and not a company.

Let us know if you have any other questions, as we would be more than happy to help. If you need some help in locating a US deuce to buy and import into Canada, I can give you the name of some good companies that I deal with.

FreightTrain

Banned
what?I drive it like it was designed to be driven.Hard by 18 year old PFCs straight outta boot that know they ain't the ones that have to pay or have to actually physically have to fix it.Even thought I do have to pay and fix it.....but......That is the fun part.

venom8343

I bought a 1967 deuce. And fella i'm gonna tell you, a deuce is the way to go. Mine is awesome off road and when you get back on the road you are the king. You ALWAYS have the right of way!! lol But make sure you get a turbo multi fuel diesel

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I drive my M35A2 every day... Is it awesome to drive? yes. It is a pain to park in a small lot? Yes... Is it slow? yes... Be prepared to cruise at 45-48mph at 2000-2200rpm most of the time in 5th. Be prepared to shift a lot. I'm talking from from a fifth to fourth on grades greater than 10% most of the time you will want to down shift to keep the truck from lugging. Be prepared see little old ladies pass you in wheel chairs and scooter rounds. But also be prepared for at best 10mpg on the highway if you steady with peddle at 2000-2200rpm. In the city I get about 7.25mpg doing a lot of stop and go. Also always use first gear and shift sequentially through the transmission unless you're coming to stop in which case the non-synchro first gear is not something you can shift into until you're dead stopped. Double Clutch as it will be easier on the transmission. That's right try to maintain the input and output shaft speeds as constant and possible it will reduce clutch slippage and wear. Is it necessary not-really but I like to do it. Ranges to shift in: Up-Shift well when the engine runs out gear usually somewhere around 2300-2600rpm. Down Shift usually between 1400-1800rpm max. You really want don't want to use your engine or transmission to stop the truck unless you have a flat run of about a three-quarters of a mile. Then you can reduce rpm by releasing your accelerator peddle and downshifting once truck as slowed down to just about 1-2 mph below the top speed on your data plate. So say you're in fourth at 44mph you just allow the truck to slowly deaccelerate from 44mph to 26-25mph down shift into third, and do the same until you reach about 13-12 mph downshift into 2 second and creep up to the stop sign. Other wise use your breaks in conjunction with downshifting... Don't let the engine overspeed... It is not built for sustain operating speeds over 2600rpm.

Other than that you just want to drive it for fun. I love my truck I drive it everywhere and it always starts up for me. Which is a good thing since it is 1971 truck. I have put 1700 miles on it since I've owned in September and about 50 hrs on the meter. It is a blast to drive. Especially when you're in a flat area and you can just cruise at 2200rpm the truck is big and loud and just bloop along but it is pure magic to me.

Attachments

venom8343

i cant believe you use first gear all the time Rolling_Eud. I always start in second on the road and once mine makes it to 5th on the highway i never have to shift down. Guess i got a powerful one!:-D

Rolling_Eudaimonia

i cant believe you use first gear all the time Rolling_Eud. I always start in second on the road and once mine makes it to 5th on the highway i never have to shift down. Guess i got a powerful one!:-D

The Operator's manual says start in first; so, I start in first gear. It lugs too much in second gear starting off from a dead stop. And for down shifting on the highway, well if I'm on flat or slightly undulating areas then no I don't down shift at all. I just run it up to 50-52mph before the incline and the truck will slow back down to 45-47mph by the top and I will speed up again on the other side to 50mph or so and repeat. But for the most part I don't run the M35A2 pinned. I run about 2200rpm max only occasionally going up to 2300-2450rpm when I'm going up an incline of 1-9%. Once it gets over 9% I find that I have to down shift or face serious lugging issues. I figure the manuals must be right about somethings so I follow them to the letter. That way hopefully my M35A2 will last longer...

Here check out this manual...

Attachments

venom8343

Man them manuals are half way full of ****. My deuce starts off in second like my mustang cobra starts off in first. First gear is for some heavy pulling. And mine will run 62 or so on the highway with no downshifting. And this is in the foot hills of the mountains in MS.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

From my experience with the truck, the manuals seem to be right on, about the capabilities of the truck. I don't think they are lying or under estimating the capabilities of the truck at all. The truck is frankly underpowered in most conditions. Unless you really abuse the truck (something I wouldn't do) the truck lacks the power to really go up hills all that fast. The fast I've gotten my truck to run on flat level ground is about 55-6mph tops. On a hill it will get up to 62mph if I let it run away. I don't do that.

In high range on the transfer case first gear seems perfect to start off the truck in. You get up to about 9mph or so and bam you shift into second the truck seems very happy about it. No Lugging. Now in second gear I started it off once or twice to see what would happen the truck felt sluggish and as if it was lugging until I got it up to about 12mph which is where the truck should be in second gear. So from now on I start off in first and work my way through the gearbox.

venom8343

I guess its my experience with driving big trucks cause thats what i do for a living. And you hardly ever use first gear on a big truck. I actually start off in about 4th in a big truck. Mine really doesnt seem underpowered plus its got that big ass box on the back that acts as a wind flap and it will still sit on 61 MPH or so on flat. I am fisen to take it off. Now down a hill that bastard has hit 70 MPH and trust me you cant be to hard on em. Those trucks are built TOUGH. I take mine off road all the time. Thats what i bought it for!!!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I've driven big trucks: Oshkosh plow trucks, FWD's Walter trucks... All trucks that top out 40mph. This is the biggest truck I own that is my own truck. I don't have CDL but for years I've been begging and burrow trips in large snowplow trucks in the area under the guise of potential buyer. And yeah some of those with the N series Cummins would take off in any gear.

My Duece just seems run naturally about 2200rpm at 48mph and 2350 about 50mph-51mph but I'm very pleased with it. And I disagree about running it too hard. The engines had head gasket problems. So I would be leery of blowing a gasket with too much hard running. But hey more power to your faster deuce... I guess not all M35's are created equal.

tsmall07

The real reservation I have about buying a deuce is that the axles aren't sealed. I really don't want to have to repack all the bearings every time I want to run through a creek or a mud hole...

I really like Bjorn's 8x8. It has pressurized axles to keep water out.