• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do people bash the CUCV?

mckeeranger

The biggest complaint I hear is that the CUCV is "underpowered." Maybe that's by design. War is a bad place to snap an axle or twist a drive shaft. Too much power can be a bad thing.

If you want to talk underpowered, we have a 3/4 ton pickup with a 4.3L V6. They are good little engines, but should not be in a full sized truck.

linx310

In regard to batteries, Civilian rigs with 6.2 diesels and 12 volt system also need two batteries unless you only start the engine at temps over 70 F.
Two batteries in series to run a 24 volt starter make the same power as two batteries hooked in parallel to run a 12 volt starter.
Do they use two smaller batteries?

The civi k5 trucks i have seen only have one battery tray and the AC system takes up the spot the second battery goes. Of course this could be because it was a gasser.

jdemaris

The civi k5 trucks i have seen only have one battery tray and the AC system takes up the spot the second battery goes. Of course this could be because it was a gasser.
I've got 28 civilian 6.2 diesel trucks, Blazers, and Suburbans. Years range from 1982 to 1992. Every one of them has dual battery trays with dual batteries - AC or no AC.

The only full size diesel civilian truck ever made from 70s - 90s that has one battery instead of two is the 1st generation Dodge-Cummins. But, it uses one huge commercial battery that is equal to two auto batteries.

jdemaris

The biggest complaint I hear is that the CUCV is "underpowered." Maybe that's by design. .
All non-turbo diesel engines have less horsepower and torque then gas engines - when they have equal bore and stroke and size. It's not a special design, they are all like that.

With farm tractors that get sold by horsepower, a typical 35 horse tractor with have a 152 diesel or a 135 c.i. gas - both with equal power. A typical 90 horse tractor will have a 404 c.i. diesel or a 380 c.i. gas - to keep power equal.

Autos are different since they are rarely advertised by power levels. When the Olds 350 diesel came out, it had much less power then the Olds 350 gas engine - which had many people convinced something was "wrong." That low power was normal.

When the 378 c.i. 6.2 diesel came out, it was designed to match the power of a 305 c.i., 5 liter gas engine. Not a 350 gas engine which easily overpoweres a 6.2 with no turbo.

jdemaris

About size . . . the 6.2 diesels in Ck and later V series trucks use the same size batteries as used in gas engines. They just use two instead of one. The battery trays are also the same size as gas versions. For the diesel, there is one tray on each fender well and nothing in the AC system comes near either of them. Both batteries are all the way up front, tucked into the corners.

linx310

Ahh ok...thats why they have those driver side battery mounts you can buy. Learn some thing every day on here.

dave wells

27-30 MPGs defies reason and physics. No offense, but I don't believe you. Maybe you actually believe those figures - and if so, I have no idea why.

I've met with a few people that made such claims and every one I had a chance to check, got nowhere near those figures. If you DO actually have one, it must truly be magical.

I've got over 20 6.2 diesel rigs. Also have been repairing and modifiying them since they came out. I've checked mileage on all in varioius conditions, drive train options, engine options, includimg long trips down south on flat roads.

A few years ago, there was a 6.2 diesel fuel-mileage contest. Held in the southwest at low altitude, with warm weather and flat highways. A modifed 1/2 ton 2WD short-box pickup with 2.73 axle gears. overdrive manual trans, and small chamber heads won the contest with 23.5 MPG. Seems you should of entered?

I can verify that my little mini Isuzu PUP 4WD diesel pickup with a 2.2 diesel does indeed get 31 MPG on highway trips.

So why do you suppose a new, factory fresh diesel Blazer with 3.08 axles and .7 of overdrive only got 21 MPG, yet your's does SO much better?

By the way, I have a factory stock 1982 1/2 ton pickup with C-code 6.2 diesel (more efficient then a J-code). Has 3.08 axles and a New Process NP833 four-speed manual trans with overdrive. It was tested for a year in Long Island at sea level, in warm weather highway driving. 22 MPG was the highest ever recorded . Overall average of 16.5 MPG.

i didnt belive it at first but i have checked it over and over and had others check it even had speedometer and everything checked all were dead on.,... if you dont belive me feel free to come see for your self anytime