• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do so deuces start in the cold and so don't

jsthnt@gmail.com

I just want to know why so M35a2 start in the cold and some do not. From reading several threads some people realy fight there truck in the cold. I seam to have been lucky mine starts right up in the cold. It has started down to -6 deg F. I would like to get a second one some day and this would be nice to know before hand.
Any info that can be provided would be nice.
Thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Fuel condition, ring condition, pump condition, injector condition, lift pump condition, fuel filter condition, air filter condition, and preheater condition.

Lots of variables to make some trucks start easier than others.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ooops, totally spaced out on starting RPM. The electrical can open up a whole can of worms on its own!

dmetalmiki

And of course

The Igniter in the cold start system MUST work properly. no use "squirting" and NOT igniting!..IF it fires.so wil your Engine.

bjsmith

my last deuce took a minute to start in cold weather until i turned pump up them it would fire right up but i also had 31 series batteries with 1000 cca each

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
All trucks have a soul and a "Critical Need Detector".......the more you need it to start the less likely it is to start.:roll:

They also have a "Financial Status Evaluation System"....if you are flat broke they will run like a sewing machine.....get a few bucks ahead and something will need replacing.....the cost of the part will be in direct proportion to the amount of money you have on hand.aua

APM215

All trucks have a soul and a "Critical Need Detector".......the more you need it to start the less likely it is to start.:roll:

They also have a "Financial Status Evaluation System"....if you are flat broke they will run like a sewing machine.....get a few bucks ahead and something will need replacing.....the cost of the part will be in direct proportion to the amount of money you have on hand.aua
It looks like wreckerman has the same problems with his trucks as I do. Don’t forget that the first three parts places you go to won’t have the part and the only place that does is a 30 min drive and you don’t like the staff or the prices.

I have had brand new equipment that was hard to start. I bought a brand new John Deere 4320 that would never start; even if it thought it might be cold out and a new Kubota B7800 that started every time right down to when it was minus 40 (plugged in of course). I’ve been a diesel mechanic for over fifteen years and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for things. All of the things everyone has posted so far are correct but I know some are just a pain no matter what.

jsthnt@gmail.com

For some reason mine starts harder when I have under a half a tank of feul.
It would start in the 20's with mostly WMO in the tank. I have switch to diesel with a little kerosene when I think it will get realy cold.

91W350

It was seven yesterday when I started the two in the lot. They are both fresh rebuilds and did not make ten revolutions. No ether or heater or flame heater used, just the red button and 31 1000amp betteries.

mcmullag

if this helps

I keep my fuel tank full all the time, less likely to get water in the fuel that way. Picture a deuce tank half full, that is 25 gallons of air on top of the fuel that warms up in the sun during the day and some air escapes, then cool down at nite and moist air is sucked in, repeat each day. Also, I use power service diesel clean additive, white bottle for winter has anti- gel, gray bottle for summer. Pic is yesterday, 14 degrees.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cranking RPM is critical to keep the temp up in the combustion chambers (=low oil viscosity and fully charged batteries) and should be about 250-300, which you can monitor on the tach.
Of course a block heater of some kind solves most starting problems.
I have noticed that if you start the truck every 5-6 hours in cold weather and let it run for 20-30 minutes each time, it will fire right up every time.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming the engine is in good shape, it should start right up. I've found that if a deuce doesn't start right up down to the teens, it is time to change the fuel filters. If that doesn't work, check the in-tank pump and hose. There is no reason a deuce won't start right up in cold weather unless something is wrong. For extremely cold weather, the flame heater or one squirt of ether will suffice. In the Army we were always told to turn the headlights on for a few minutes before trying to start to help warm up the battery slightly. It does help.

Heavysteven

I think battery condition, terminal connections, and fuel quality play a major role. I use my flame heater a couple times a year here in Georgia. I still need to install my coolant heater.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks