• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do you love your deuce?

aaron379

Funny thing about that smell. While camping in the deuce at Caledonia State Park I was approached by a handsome family. A mom, dad and two teenage boys. Mom was very excited to see the M35A2. She explained she used to drive one in the service and that she and the father were both retired Army.

She asked if she could peek in the back and see my camping setup. As soon as she poked her head in she smiled and said with great appreciation "It even smells like a deuce".

So, I agree that I love my deuce for the
1) smell
2) smiles it brings to all former service members.

Aaron, cupcakes? do you have a coolant leak?
i dont know of any leaks other than the occasional oil pan drip but it really does smell like cupcakes i mean im not complaining it smells good.... makes me want cupcakes though.... now i want one

paulfarber

5. Parking next to $70k BMWs and Lexuses.
4. Making the chick at the drive though bend really far out the window for maximum boobage exposure
3. Never having to shovel snow from my driveway even AFTER PENDOT makes that 3ft high road slush ice mountain next to it.
2. It can haul all 5 dogs
1. Never having to fight over a radio station again

For $2-5k I can't see whay every home in the snow belt doesn't have on of these. You can spend that on a snow blower or plowing every year.

Maverick1701

its a piece of military history

its a head-turner

when you stop you meet war vets who drove them, people who love them and a lot of others who are interested to learn about it.

cheap/fun to work on and cheap to insure

people cant force small talk during long trips

Tlauden

A few reasons in no particular order
-Why Not get one?
-Its History
-Cheaper than a peice of S*** used truck
-Where else is there 40+ year old trucks still running as strong as these
-It turns heads
-WMO
-Makes ya smile no matter how bad the days going
-makes people mad when you park in the first row at the drive in movies:eek::eek::eek:
-Its Simply awesome

koolex11

I don't even know how to start with buying one. My wife at least has that going for her. I don't know the first thing about them except for what I read in the Wiki I found in the forum. For example, if I drive down to the GL site to inspect some, how do I tell a good one from a junker? Towing it home would be out of the question, it must drive home. That much I know. But what about everything else? What do I look for in a deuce? And no smart*** answers like "some nice headlights and a sweet tailpipe"...

midcounty

Besides the nice headlights and sweet exhaust stack.... You are looking for one that ofcourse looks good body wise with no major rust issues. You want to look it over for leaks, make sure brakes work properly, engine starts and runs, all the obvious things. Most trucks on GL lots have dead batteries, or no batteries at all. Some lots will help you jump start them, and others won't let you until after you buy. Check to make sure the lot will allow you to drive it away, as some don't. Familiarize yourself with the brake system, as this is extremely important for your safety and the safety of others on the road. Now as far as price, be aware of the 'options' and what every thing is worth. Watch the GL auctions for a little while to get a feel for what is a good price for the one you are looking for, then start previewing and bidding.

koolex11

Thanks. That's a good start. What do I need to know about the brakes? Also, what about options? I know the winch is a major one, racks, bows, cover, hard top/soft top, trans, wheels/tires are the ones I can think of. What else is there to consider?

Tlauden

tranny wise-m35a2 is a manual M35A3 is an auto

Other options are up to you, the winch is nice but do you need it? winch makes price go up... and adds length to the truck

Bows and tarp are nice but so is a bed without stuff...

its really up to you, there all the same inside but the options you like is the one you should get!!!

and if its your first time buying theres a few options
1)Go to GL but take someone who has been around deuces with ya!
2)by privately, one in known working mechanical condition
3)go to a surplus place, they know what there talking bout and the extra $ you spend will get you a working deuce of your choice.

edit: forgot the brake part... the whole system should be inspected, sitting for a while hoses will rot, lines will rust, fluid will drain... the last thing ya want is 13,000 lbs of steel rolling down the road brakeless...

thats just my2cents take it for what its worth...

tyler

flyxpl

1 looks good.
2 Sounds awesome , kind of like an old radial aircraft engine .
3 For someone that lives in the country it is very usable .
4 Makes for a great gun mount .
5 History intrigues me and these trucks are full of it .

NickAir

Reasons to have a deuce:

1) I love it
2) My wife loves it
3) best camp vehicle
4) best parts availability
5) best weekend toy/weekend toy hauler

midcounty

Also, hard tops are very nice. They cut down on some of the noise, which is a big plus, and they are warmer in the winter. Heater will big a big plus for winter use. Turbos come in two varieties, the C turbo(whistler) and the quieter D turbo. The C turbo usually brings a little more money, and is more desirable to people like me who like the noise. Some people don't want that extra noise and opt for the D. If you look at A3 Deuces, remember they have a lower top speed. The A2 is not big on top speed, but with a little 'tuning' and larger tires it can run reasonable highway speeds. Mine has no problem with 55mph on stock tires. An A3 is limited to about 45-48mph from what I have heard, and that is with already having larger tires. Good luck finding the right truck. Definitely read up on here before jumping at the first one you see.

kastein

1. it was CHEAP ($2500, plus about 1k in repairs done so far)
2. I was looking for a deuce years ago for no real reason. Last year I got the idea to buy one and build ramps to use it to haul my 4-wheeling jeep everywhere instead of dropping 10k+ on a fullsize pickup and another few grand on a trailer. I couldn't find a deuce for the price I wanted to pay (under 4k) in my area but found a 5 ton listed as for trade or possible cash offers 550 miles away. So now I own a 5 ton. Oops!
3. the chicks dig it (I was NOT expecting this!)
4. so does everyone else (not expecting this either)
5. it runs on anything. fuel costs @ 5mpg / $0/gallon are still better than fuel costs @ 20mpg / $4/gallon (my most economical other vehicle.)
6. I just used it to haul about 4 yards of dirt into the woods with my 4 wheeling club, one of the other clubs in the area had caused a lot of damage to a hill climb on land we have legal access to on the condition that no ruts are created. The truck turned what would have been a 1 or 2 day project driving back and forth with an ATV and trailer into a single load of dirt and we were all back home by 2PM.
7. I don't have enough money pit time consuming projects around already. (this is the one I catch flak from my friends on...)
8. assuming I ever move again, it will take more trips to move the vehicles than everything else I own.
9. If we have bad storms this winter I won't care... at all.
10. when I buy the brick for the chimney I need to build, it will take 1 trip to get it home. Probably the mortar too.
11. when some lifted chromed stacked tinted "big dumb pickup" with a 1.5 surround sound system pulls up next to me, the owner feels small inside as I laugh at them because my truck is bigger (on stock suspension and tires) and cost me less than his lift and tires.

There's just something about the way a deuce looks, just like the way a MJ Jeep looks that just makes people happy.
:beer: I love them... that is why I own two! Attached is my daily driver / weekend wheeler. Just put 2" lift in the back, 3.5" in the front, chrysler 29 spline 8.25 rearend, aussie locker in the front, 4x4 swap, 5spd trans all at the same time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Clay James

1) Cheap. at least to buy(I've spent far more on parts and maintenance than the actual truck itself).
2) Fun. I've never driven anything more fun than a deuce.
3) Turns most peoples heads and starts a lot of conversations wherever I go.
4) Chicks dig it. I've taken a girl on a date in mine :D
5) Driving a piece of American history that is very patriotic.

That's just a few reasons in no particular order.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks