• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why late model MEPs being surplused?

bimota

Anyone know why late model 2009-2010 MEPs are being surplused out when only five or so years old?

Typically they have a 20 plus years surplus sale time frame. I'm thinking of the MEP-903s that were surplused early because of noise and other design issues. We did six of those 903s and they all failed in service early - so someone knows something.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Downsizing the military, more emphasis on being "light", and the fact that many TOC's are now in the back of vehicles/powered by vehicles and not huge "tent cities".

Gunzy

I agree, it has to do with downsizing, which by the way will come back to bite us in the backside. I picked up an O/H'ed MEP804A with 26 hours on it. It was O/H'ed at 21 hours and got a new engine. Great example of your tax dollars at work. I also just won a '92 M925A2 that was O/H'ed in 4/12. And there is a lot of O/H'ed equipment being surplussed. I had a 2010 M1101 and have seen a lot of M1101/1102 trailers being auctioned and at a site in Utah there was a row of brand new(still wrapped) M1101 trailers coming into the facility for dispersal to units. Explain why they are buying new trailers while auctioning 5-7 year old unused trailers.

Gunzy

Well, let's see how well those digital control panels work. Historically they are a little problematic.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has a lot to do with mandates to conserve fuel. The AAMPS generators coming into service and they are more fuel efficient.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what you're saying is fuel efficiency overrides durability/dependability. Yep, your government at work.
Considering that a gallon of fuel for a generator delivered to a remote outpost in Afghanistan wound up costing over $450 a gallon delivered (it had to be flown into Bagram, then delivered to the base by helicopter, as that was the only reliable way of transport), fuel economy in remote areas of the world is very important.

Remember, battles are won by tactics, wars are won by logistics!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks