• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why Lift

jw4x4

Yup. What "ragedracer" said. Getting high centered is not fun! A body lift will raise your skid pans and bumpers to give you that extra bit of clearance. Too much will just cost a lot of $$ in U-joints and stress on diffs and T/F cases. Unless you buy a properly engineered kit, it will look cool, but be totally useless!

A body lift WILL NOT raise skid plates or bumpers or anything else in the frame/driveline. The ONLY thing a body lift will raise is the body. It merely puts more space between the body and the frame. One or two inches is not bad, but anything more looks hideous. However, it is one of the most cost effective methods of clearing larger tires.

Thanks for all the information. Interesting... I did not know the difference between the two types of lifts. The angle of approach/descent is also new to me as well.

Thanks!
K

3dubs

If you never use four wheel drive and stay on pavement then it will only help when the roads flood. But when you play in the mud the lift making room is a big help. Also more rubber to sling the mud out of the way. Also the 35 inch tires are wider. Wider tires are better for mud and sand. If you do not need increased articulation then using a lift with blocks will save a couple bucks. A body lift is easier for trucks that do not have staight axels. But the straight axels are easy. With a four inch lift you do not have to worry about drive shaft angles and other problems with big lifts. A lift that uses new springs and not lift blocks adds travel and articulation. So when you run over stuff, hit bumps or dips. The wheel travel lets the springs move the axels more and take more of the bounce before you feel it. Articulation allows you to cross bigger ditches, holes, or whatever and keep tires on the ground. You may have seen trucks driving on ramps that are only under one tire in the front and the opposite rear tire. This shows how hightires can go and how low the other side can go and keeps the tires in contact with the ground. If all of this means nothing to you. Then just do what you think looks cool.

4bogginchevys

I also want to add that i've personally seen body mounts ripped out of the floor of the cab, so if your thinking of lifting your truck then you might think about all the work it would be to change out a cab, just to save 200 on a nice suspension kit.:-D:-D

Croatan_Kid

I lifted my truck for several reasons.....

1- It looks badass. Can't deny that :twisted:

2- It has 4.56 gears and it needed more tire to tame the gears. It was a good excuse to lift it (see reason 1).

3- It helped out with some oil pan clearance on the Cummins, although it was lifted first.

4- Way better off road. Period.

5- The front springs needed to be replaced, the stockers were too far negatively arched and the bushings were worn out.

6- I've always wanted a lifted truck.

7- Trucks and wheelin' have always been my thing. It's legal, I don't steal stuff, and I don't hurt people. It keeps me occupied and focused on something to keep me out of trouble and I'm really good at managing my money because of that. So it's also more that just "lifting a truck"...it can teach you stuff whether you know it or not!