• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why no Multi-Fuel engine?

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me preface this by saying I am still constantly reading and gaining information about military trucks and I don't know a lot (college classes take up a lot of time).

But why don't 5 tons are other military trucks other than the m35a2 have multi fuel engines?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multifuel is a 50+ year old design. Modern improvements and the EPA.

197thhhc

They went to just diesel because in the late 1980s the military retired gas engine vehicles. There is no need to have multifuel when you only have diesel. The 5ton wrecker I started out on, when I was in the Army, was a multifuel and then I got a 900 series wrecker. The power of the Cummins engine compared to the multifuel was night and day.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a feeling it had to be power. I wish they had been able to develop a modern day multi-fuel that was capable of producing enough power but still be able to run on anything.

Thanks for explanations.

KsM715

At some point in time somebody in charge sat back and thought about it.

When was the last time, out in the field in combat, did someone run out of fuel and actually have enough "other fuel" on hand to fuel up and move a convoy. If a single vehicle gets lost on it's own and runs out of fuel, what are the chances its going to be carrying enough waste oil to dump in the tank and keep going? It sounds good in theory, but in reality its a non issue (for the military)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The multi-fuel is a WW2 German design, mainly the Russians and the US copied it because the next war was "supposed" to be fought in Europe, the multi-fuel is a DEISEL engine that CAN run on battlefield collected fuel "if needed", NOT a run on anything forever engine, the thought was that the motor can be replaced but the mission was completed and got the personal back.

All the 5t 39 series A2s were multi-fuel

scopionf89

My platoon SFC that I had back at Ft. Stewart when he went into Iraq in 2003 said he had to run his m35a2 at one point on kerosene. They ran low on fuel and raided an Iraqi storage depot. So it has come in handy since Vietnam.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As owner of a M543A2 wrecker, I can assure you that you'd wish it had some other engine in a heavy 5 ton.

vtdeucedriver

The theory was the thought on MF but if you do the research and talk with the drivers who operated them when they first came out, you will find that reliability was not its strength. There was certainly a reason why Continental had full time field reps in Vietnam and the army had a red ball program set up from the factory to the maint depots in Vietnam.

Scarecrow1

I have always suspected the main reason was due to the short life span of the multi fuel combined with the poor power out put. Even with experimentation of the turbo projects the power was at best marginal. I am sure some where in a little room that doesn't exist someone said enough of this and closed the books on the multi fuel project.
If we had had to go into Russia with it's vast time zones alone the only thing that was plentiful to burn was wood and since the trucks couldn't run off of it then Diesel was the best choice. To this day I still wonder why the Abrams is one of the few weapon systems that runs off gasoline and not Diesel like almost every thing else in the field.........

TehTDK

Present day vehicles with MF capabilities (Possibly more, but these i know for certain):
- US M1 Ambrams has a turbine multifuel engine
- German Leopard I+II's has a conventional multifuel engine thats is more economical then the turbine (Leo2's has a rated output of 1,500 HP)

So to say that MultiFuels are outdated is not exactly correct :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks