• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why not detroit 50 series in deuce?

SCRAP

wouldnt this be the best engine for a swap? being its only a 4 cylinder, its plenty short, available in alot of inner city buses, and rated at 250-320hp, it would be a prime candidate for a swap, more room left for a overdrive auto trans also.....anyone else pondering this idea ?

by the way the 320hp version has 1150ft lbs of torque !!!

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Very interesting setup. I believe the issue will be the 2100 rpm governed speed and the 6.72 to 1 axle ratios. I am aware that 4 something axle ratio's are available from O Engineering, albeit, some claim that they are rather weak and best suited for Jeeps and such. Braking is another issue with that kind of power and speed but I saw another vendor who had outboard disc brakes to mount to these axles. I'm sure anyone who had the money to convert to a dual circuit brake system compatible with disc brakes, replace the gears in the axles to one's rated to this duty, and do the swap would have a pretty neat Deuce. I'm not that individual so I'll stick with my 305tq/134hp set up as delivered to Uncle Sam and drool at the person that does put together a set-up with that 4cyl Detroit.

SCRAP

with the stock axle ratio, an overdrive automatic like an md3060, you could cruise that motor at 2100, save fuel , and have plenty of torque. the motors are on e-gay for 2-3k.

the shortness of the motor makes a overdrive allison or a good 10-13 speed tranny a great possibility, these bigger trannys wont fit behind a 6bt or any cat motor

ODdave

I too have thought about the 4-53 in the deuce, Just never lucky enough to find one. I recently found a 3-53 im gonna grab, for what I dont now. Keep in mind most busses rack 1,000,000 miles on them before de-comission.

Chief_919

I too have thought about the 4-53 in the deuce, Just never lucky enough to find one. I recently found a 3-53 im gonna grab, for what I dont now. Keep in mind most busses rack 1,000,000 miles on them before de-comission.
There is a guy here who has at least one, maybe 2-3 running 4-53's. They were pulled from 10k forlifts that ran, but they were parted because monster truck builders pay big $$ for the axles.

rattlecan6104

i've been pondering a 6v-92 two stroke, They just sound sooooo mean. By pondering I havent made any attempts to see if it is possible, but a detroit under the hood seems like it could be a lot of fun.

How about a 6V53? I've got one with an Allison 6 speed behind it. Never even considered it.

Weight 1485 lbs
Length 39"
Width 40"
Height 37"
Compression Ratio 21:1
Displacement 318 Cu Inches
Bore 3.875 inches
Stroke 4.50 inches

275-320 HP @2800

Last edited:

ODdave

Big problem with the detroits is the **** accesory drive unit runs off the back. If you could get around this I think it would be much easier.

SCRAP

Dont worry the deuce front axle can take the extra weight :D

The torque increase will take care of the extra weight, might wanna go full hudro steering to make it more streetable.

what does the multifuel weigh ? Id bet it is over 1500.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmm, seems there is some cross-confusion between the 2-cycle 53-series (3-53, 4-53, 6V53, 8V53) and the newer 4-cycle Series 50. The Series 50 is derived from the larger Series 60 4-stroke, but with 2 fewer cylinders. The Series 50 4-stroke usually features EGR and a few electronic controls on older motors. Some of the newer 2-stroke Detroits came with electronic controls for emissions (DDEC), but typically the appeal of the older 2-stroke "Screamin Jimmies" is that fact that they are straight mechanical and fairly easy to work on.

I have a 4-53 with turbocharger in my 1986 GMC 3/4-ton I'm getting ready to swap over to a 1994 C-6500 chassis, once it's shortened to pickup length (4-wheel disc brakes, 19.5" wheels) and I find a fiberglass tilt hood to replace the pickup front clip with. I just spent all last weekend chasing fuel supply problems, and used a universal 12V fuel pump for fuel system priming. I'm just glad I didn't have to drop the fuel pump to re-clock it after becoming air-locked.

The Deuce engine compartment seems suited for an inline diesel design, much more than a V-configuration. I have a line on a 4-71T and a 6V92T Silver engine, but the 4-71 seems like a better fit. A 6-71T would be ideal, but I can't find one in my price range (CHEAP).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks