• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why Not to Pay Too Much for a GL Truck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At lot of people, ("Newbies"), wonder what the down side of buying from GL is.

I have had really good luck with most of the Deuces I have purchased. Almost all of them have been runners with minor problems.

BUT there have been a couple that have had MAJOR issues.

ON Both of these trucks a pre-inspection was not allowed.

The first one was an Air Force Deuce. It looked rough and I had no idea if it even ran. I made arrangements to tow it home. Good thing as the air pump had been removed and the fuel system was full of gunk. I paid about $1200 for it and spent another $500-$600 getting it home and cleaning and replacing parts. Ended up it need a new injector pump. That would have been another $700-$900 for a rebuilt one. Luckily I had a fellow SS that had a spare pump. The truck ended up being a runner.

The next bad truck looked great from the pics but I could see that the air breather had been removed for some reason. Light bulbs went off.
After planning on dragging it home I discovered that the air pump was MIA, the turbo was toast and the tranny was non-operational. Luckily I only spent $700 on the truck as it will take many $$$ to get it operational again. I am waiting to see what comes up next....................

You can see what the tranny looks like and how the turbo shaft has an 1/8th inch play in it.

I had purchased a part truck last year and I am very lucky that I did. It has sacrificed itself many times. This has saved me thousands of dollars on miscelanious parts.

So the moral of the story:

Hope for the best and expect the worse. If you plan on driving your truck home be prepared to make other arrangements.

These trucks are NOT showroom new. They are 40+ years old and have been abused.

If you are NOT prepaired to take a risk that the truck is non-operational, then buy from an individual that has taken that risk and pay them for thier efforts.

Attachments

Last edited:

DeuceNewb

yeh, but also you can preview a truck and it's great, but by the time your EUC clears its not. I just got back from PA to help my friend get his 109. When we saw it a month ago it barely started due to very low batteries. Moved it back and forth and hit the brakes. Everything worked good enough. Fast forward to when we go to get it after EUC clears. Hop in, hit the button and the motor spins real fast and cranks right up. New batteries or charged? the truck was also in a different spot, and now had ZERO brakes, NONE pedal would go straight to the floor. 3.5 hours of bleeding and we got pedal back but the air pack seemed to be doing nothing, we had manual brakes all the way back to NC.

z28young

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I have been trying to sell my Duece and that is one of my selling points. This truck runs and I have been driving it for a while now, I know what has been serviced lately and what hasn't.

I will be buying another truck in the near future once I get some other items taken care of. When that time comes I will be on here looking for my next truck. I am not against GL, but if someone is going to buy just one truck it is worth paying a little more and get a truck that has already been checked out and is ready to go.

Another reason...

Here's another reason not to pay too much for a GL vehicle....with the problems I've been reading about lately with missed paperwork deadlines, the more you pay, the less you get back after your sale has been canceled and you give GL 25% of the price.

1qwkgoat

The ONLY reason GL is still in bussiness is they have the monopoly on the government surplus. Everyday I sit and wait on EUC to clear I wonder what might have possibly got stolen off my truck. While the wait on the EUC is not GL's fault. I think it is thier responsibility to supply the truck is the condition that it was presented in when sold, when you cut them a check for it. Not make you pay for it, let people rob parts off of it, then not care at all.

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I bought a M35A2 that said runs, w/w, and had a fuel fired heater. It ran alright, it ranaway and I am glad my sons are sharp and immediately pulled the mushroom cap and choked it before it did damage. Got the IP squared away and found the fuel pump was bad and the IP was doing all of the work. In short, you can get some very good bargains if you do research, preview and then do not get outbid. If you buy from a member, you can start, drive, inspect and get help after you buy it from that member. Try calling up GL for advice, help, or a tow!! Good Luck.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......., and now had ZERO brakes, NONE pedal would go straight to the floor. 3.5 hours of bleeding and we got pedal back but the air pack seemed to be doing nothing, we had manual brakes all the way back to NC.
When ever you buy a DRMO, GSA or XYZ truck, you should always assume that the brakes are bad. I have seen too many that had bad brakes from just sitting.

Invest $20 and make your own brake bleeder. I made my own and can bleed them in 15 minutes or less. That is not fixing them but getting them operational for the trip home.

You should always take the brake cylinders apart after you get home. Safety dictates that.

Last edited:

Barrman

Ask me what?

Oh, the od habit. Yep, we all have it.

Batteries, brakes, lights and basically anything that takes less than 8 hours to remove have been pulled or swapped among GL trucks. "Buyer Beware" should be a banner add on the GL site. But, we all keep going back to get our "fix."

AceHigh

I doubt I would complain if I bought a truck on ebay and the seller told me it would take a few months after I pay to deliver it.

Or if the seat, transmission or whatever was missing when I went to pick it up, even if the items were in the photos.

Or if the seller told me I had to have it towed off his property even tho it drove fine.

These are all reasonable things a buyer often faces. :twisted:

DeuceNewb

When ever you buy a DRMO, GSA or XYZ truck, you should always assume that the brakes are bad. I have seen too many that had bad brakes from just sitting.

Invest $20 and make your own brake bleeder. I made my own and can bleed them in 15 minutes or less. That is not fixing them but getting them operational for the trip home.

You should always take the brake cylinders apart after you get home. Safety dictates that.
\yeh. can you show me how you made your brake bleeder?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may have some issues(well, a lot of issues) but it sure is pretty Joe

Here i a pic of that ex- Air Force junker you used to own:-D
Hey Tom,

Is that an original issue C.A.T. on the fender? Whats the NSN number?

Now just a little paint and........................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks