• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why short an aready short truck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have regular deuces and I have had a bobber.

I put a custom dual exhaust (stacks) on it and a factory built 8x8 flat bed.

I also put 1100x20 tires on it.

The acceleration was greatly improved and it would keep up with traffic on two lane roads.

It was still loud, rough riding, hard to steer and butt ugly.

I loved it and regret getting rid of it. I will prob bob another one at some point and address some of the oft memtioned shortcomings.

The bottom line is......"It's my dawg and I'll whup it if I want to".

The is the same issue the hot rodders agree to disagree on.

jluv1185

Has anyone put a bobber up against a non in performance trials? Meaning, we know about the fuel economy, tighter turning radious, easier steering, higher top speed, better acceleration, looks cool.....wait why are we argueing over this? ;-) jk.

stumps

Has anyone put a bobber up against a non in performance trials? Meaning, we know about the fuel economy, tighter turning radious, easier steering, higher top speed, better acceleration, looks cool.....wait why are we argueing over this? ;-) jk.
Has anybody put a bobber up against a 1T 4WD PU truck? From what I have seen, the PU truck will beat the bobber hands down.

The last such trial I saw was on youtube, the bobber was stuck, stuck, and more stuck. The stock deuce (with NDT tires) drove right on through, as did the 4WD pickup trucks.

But, as has been amply said, it's your truck, do what you want... as long as it doesn't make it a hazard to the rest of us, anyway.

-Chuck

shannondeese

I bobbed one of mine and the other is in the process of being bobbed. Why? because I want to. No other reason than that. The newest truck I drive is a 1995 and the oldest is a 1967. All of them 3/4 ton or larger as my daily drivers so fuel mileage is out. Tire longevity is out since most are 4x4s. So the Deuces fit right into my normal routine Bobbed or Stock.

tm america

you cant say bobbed deuces are different there are so many people doing it that it should have a separate forum.soon you wont be able to find a m105 or a uncut deuce and the price of the deuce will go way up .to me al the things that bobbing does good for a deuce can be done without bobbing and all the things you loose bobing cant be undone..and when you bob a deuce it makes it comparable to a 1 ton in capacity but not in performance so why do it if a 1ton is faster better offroad and easier to work on and plate.now a 6x6 has no comparisons to a 1ton :roll:it.s like buying a semi takin a axle off of it dropping it down and calling it a low rider.but for all of those guys with bobbers i openly invite you to haspin this year to see whats better offroad .maybe some follow the leader :?:

you cant say bobbed deuces are different there are so many people doing it that it should have a separate forum.soon you wont be able to find a m105 or a uncut deuce and the price of the deuce will go way up .to me al the things that bobbing does good for a deuce can be done without bobbing and all the things you loose bobing cant be undone..and when you bob a deuce it makes it comparable to a 1 ton in capacity but not in performance so why do it if a 1ton is faster better offroad and easier to work on and plate.now a 6x6 has no comparisons to a 1ton :roll:it.s like buying a semi takin a axle off of it dropping it down and calling it a low rider.but for all of those guys with bobbers i openly invite you to haspin this year to see whats better offroad .maybe some follow the leader :?:
This is just my humble opinion, and, I think most of the guys bobbing their trucks feel the same way.... it's in our blood to change things.
Stock M35 are as common as a** holes, everybody has one and they are ALL the same. Kind of like owning a stock Camaro, how boring. Some of us enjoy making it our own, and in the process we may ( or may not ) end up with something better. I doubt very many of these "stock" parade trucks spend much time hauling Five Thousand pounds around, so why burn up ten tires at a time. And, those ten tires don't have near the pounds per square inch (ala, traction) as four ( do the math ). A Bobber might be ridiculous and pointless and that might be why they are SO COOL!
Bottom line...you do your truck the way you want to do your truck and I'll do mine the way I want to do mine...

PaFarmer

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though I suspect some of the more vocal bobbed deuce opponents posting up on this thread have not spent much time driving a bobbed deuce on or off road. I have had several deuces and recently sold the deuce I bobbed. It was a lot of fun to build and drive around. I used it off road a good bit, including the 2009 Rausch Creek Rally. I ran a stock one through the trails there two years ago.

A stock deuces work fine as is. I think they look cool bobbed. My bobbed deuce worked great on and off road. It was nicer to drive on the street that stock. It was more nimble on Jeep trails (but still a big pig versus a Jeep). I personally did not experience any loss in performance as a 4x4 versus a 6x6off road. I still have two M35A2s and am thinking about bobbing one of them.

I have posed here about my bobbed deuce and my lifted 99 F-250 on 38" Swampers. I've also had five modified Jeeps (Wranglers and Cheokees) my current Cherokee is lifted, locked front and rear, on 35" tires.

A deuce is great for what it is. If you want to work it hard, I suggest starting with a much newer truck. There is more than 40 years of technological advancement that has gone into building trucks since the M-35A2 was designed. If you want a hardcore off roader, build a tube buggy with a big block and rockwell axles. If you want a cheap, cool old truck that is heavy duty, get a deuce, if you want to bob it, there are tons of examples on this great site.

tm america

i haul 10000-40000lbs with my m35a2c pretty regularly.and theres no way a bobbed deuce would do that.as for psi per tire there is a fine line between what is good and what is bad i agree 10 wheels on a deuce gives you to much weight on the fronts and not enough per tire on the rears. a singled 6x6 deuce with rated load is balanced within a few hundred pounds between all the tires which is ideal for traction a bobbed deuce has the same problem that 10 wheel deuce does its heavy in the front and light in the rear.so bobbing does nothing to help traction but singling does .a bobbed deuce weights 10000-11000lbs with 6500-7000lbs on the front.a empty bobber vs a singled 6x6 deuce the psi per tire is very similar but with the 6x6 you have two more tires pushing or pulling you through the mud with the same psi and traction as the rear axle on a bobber.so the 6x6 has more traction not to mention the rear suspension of a stock deuce has way better articulation than a bobbed deuce which gives it better traction off road to:roll:yes you can fit bigger tires on a bobbed deuce but the multifuel doesnt have enough power to properly push 52s maybe 48s but thats pushing it . and the stock brakes dont do very good with any tire bigger than 46inches tall.i agree its your truck do what you want with it .i want to build me a bobbed deuce to but mine will still be 6x6 just a shorter wheel base:roll:like this one

Attachments

tm america

no i just have big arms:-D i have seen a couple like that they love em and they are way more different than a 4x4 deuce.if you really wanted to get trick you could put 5ton suspension under there with the stock deuce axles then you could run 52s if you wanted:roll:

KI4GSN

People bob them because they paid for it, and they are entitled to do what they wish with it. That being said, I would never bob one because I work my vehicles doing what they were designed to do, and the Deuce is more appropriate in it's 10 wheeled form. I don't consider myself a purist by any means, but I do like the saying that if something works the way you want it to the way it is, why change it?

I would also like to point something out to the advocates of a one ton truck over a deuce. Anyone priced a one ton diesel lately? A deuce can be had (and bobbed if so inclined) for less than a good used pickup (none of the new crap they're coming out with either. Back when Diesels were noisy, leaked everything everywhere, and pollution control was a bad word). Fords with the 7.3 Powerstroke (not IDI) often go for 10-20K depending on mileage. 5.9 Cummins Dodges usually go for more for the simple fact everybody and their mama wants one.

tm america

there was one on flea bay that had 395s on it and it looked awsome.i wouldnt run duals on it .maybe even go with 6 wheel steering with air locks for street use.like cc equiptment is doind on his new project .that would be different .the wheel base on that truck isnt but a few inches less than the m275 which had no problem turning

oldshep

Seems like someone has a gripe with bobbing a truck on here every week. I bobbed mine because its cool and I had never seen one before. Since then many have been cut. Drives better too. I didnt buy my truck to preserve military history. But dont get me wrong, some should be kept in stock form. I bought it for a farm truck project. People can do whatever they want with they're trucks. Its their money. But I kinda want a 6x6 with some 46'' XML's now. HAha.:twisted:

pjpiche1

You know what I find funny, two of the m35a2's that we purchased from the government had GOVERNMENT/MILITARY BUILT MODIFICATIONS on the them. Now, why would the government put a mod. on the "PERFECT " truck? I will tell you... why! The truck did not fit the purpose that they needed!!! These trucks stock are simply a base to start with. Let everyone build what they want and BE HAPPY ABOUT IT! That is what their original owner did!

tm america

the stock deuce served the purpose for over 50yrs when the m381 never seen production.modified or not the gov didnt cut them up to make 4x4s out of them .they had the m1008 and m880 for that . i'm not saying not to bob your truck just think about every different way to get what you want. some mods arent easily reversed.i dont think a bobbed deuces drives better with 10000lbs in the bed or with a deuce on a tow bar behind it .but then what do i know i work my truck and use for what it was made for .and not as a replacement for my chevy s10:roll:

monkster

Wow Whats 40000# fill like in duece? Is that gross? We have been known to push the limits with are 10's 50-51000# =600bu good test corn or wheat (gross) The ride is smooth but rpm's and gear jamin leves no time to look out the window. I'm sure I will be there with our trucks. Got serveal strories about hauling pop corn, but thats later.