• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why short an aready short truck

tm america

it doesnt ride to bad just dont leave it on there to long .cuz it will make the hitch get close to the ground.i had it stacked over the roof and two ft over the top of the cab with concrete.pulling my 8000lb tractor with another 5000 lbs of concrete on the front of the trailer.when i pulled into the yard to dump it they waved me around the scale they said they couldnt let me scale it since then they could be liable . they estimated that load of whatwas in the bed at around 50000lbs. it was the most i hauled with the truck.i was around 75000-80000lbs combined . i had to really leave alot of room to stop i had to more less coast to a stop. scarey real scarey i wont be doing that one again

tm america

not yet i have all the planning done but i got really busy and havent got it pulled in the shop yet it will be happening soon:-D i will have it done for haspin hopefully before spring since i want to do alot more camping this year :roll:

tm america

oh did i say i love my 6x6 i just towed a m1008 for my friend where i was dropping it off there is limited space .i had to pull it through a ditch and up a 80% grade with more than 12 inches of snow on the ground .it did it like it was nothing :-Dthe m35a2c pulls the trailer even in snow like its not there . how could you not love that :roll:

6X6 ALL THE WAY

I have a really nice m-35a2 that i drive. Only thing that I've done is add a winch. But the truck the winch is off of is rough and the bed is now on somebody else's five ton so I'm building a bobber out of it. one of my 105's has a rotted frame so why not? better then some people I know that part out running and driveing trucks.

tm america

some have to die so others can live i dont see anything wrong with parting one out even a nice one .but if you have some extra stuff laying around and dont know what to do with it why not make another truck out of it. this is probably one of the only good reasons i have heard on why to build a bobber

donkdonk

the stock deuce served the purpose for over 50yrs when the m381 never seen production.modified or not the gov didnt cut them up to make 4x4s out of them .they had the m1008 and m880 for that . i'm not saying not to bob your truck just think about every different way to get what you want. some mods arent easily reversed.i dont think a bobbed deuces drives better with 10000lbs in the bed or with a deuce on a tow bar behind it .but then what do i know i work my truck and use for what it was made for .and not as a replacement for my chevy s10:roll:

Hey man, who died and made you the all knowing, all seeing, top expert on what to do and not do with a deuce? You have stated your opinion... many many many times... we get it, you don't like bobbed trucks.

To say that all the M35's and all the M105's will be all used up and drive up the prices is just silly talk.

The deuce has to be the best value for a truck for what you are getting of anything out there. Name something you can buy consistently for such a low amount and get so much. DEUCES ARE CHEAP!! They are cheap because there are so many of them. What do you think it's going to do to the value of a 1972 M35a2 when the government drops thousands of M35a3's on the market?? (let's please avoid a discussion about the shortcomings of the A3's) It is going to lower it. When you can buy a running and driving M35 for less than scrap value then you know it's not rare.

The reason why people like the bobbed trucks is the same reason some people like Honda CBR motorcycles and some people like Harley Fatboys. People are different. This truck is diverse. It's cheap. It's cool. It's easy to modify.

Volkswagens are like this. The VW Beetle has been transformed into everything in the world because they are a dime a dozen and eazy to modify.

You take a truck built for one purpose and change it to something that is different to suit your needs.

Every day people buy stock Harley Davidson bikes and cut off the rear shocks, weld on a rigid rear, lower it to the ground, and put big handlebars on it. It rides like rough as ****, corners like poop, overall lots of things are much worse than the stock bike that they started with.

You know why?

Because it is THEIR bike, and that's what THEY WANT!

tm america

noone died and made me anything i'm just saying the facts. i didnt start this thread or this debate .it was here before me and it will be here after.everyone likes what they like and theres nothing wrong with that.i never said i hate bobbed deuces just that i would do it different .maybe i would do one in a 4x4 if i was gonna make a plow truck out of it. but i just think there are several different ways to do things.
if a guy came into the shop i work at and said he wanted us to make his car faster,handle better and stop better . he would be pulling his car out of there as soon as i said lets cut it down and make it shorter .rather than put a motor with more power in and add some better shocks and brakes. . it's your truck and your opinion thats cool this will go on forever . maybe we should have a different forum for bobbed deuces .maybe they should be in the cucv forum .this would end alot of the tension between the 6x6 and 4x4 guys

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Respect your fellow SSers maybe this needs to be READ again

i dont like bobed trucks because i like the 3 axle look, BUT alot of the bobbers look good the bottom line if you paid for it, you do what makes YOU happy

donkdonk

no one died and made me anything i'm just saying the facts. i didn't start this thread or this debate .it was here before me and it will be here after.everyone likes what they like and there's nothing wrong with that.i never said i hate bobbed deuces just that i would do it different .maybe i would do one in a 4x4 if i was gonna make a plow truck out of it. but i just think there are several different ways to do things.
if a guy came into the shop i work at and said he wanted us to make his car faster,handle better and stop better . he would be pulling his car out of there as soon as i said lets cut it down and make it shorter .rather than put a motor with more power in and add some better shocks and brakes. . it's your truck and your opinion that's cool this will go on forever . maybe we should have a different forum for bobbed deuces .maybe they should be in the CUCV forum .this would end a lot of the tension between the 6x6 and 4x4 guys
I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, what I do not agree with is the way that some people express said opinion.

I think constructive criticism is a good thing, like if you see something that is not safe and you bring it to the persons attention. Or even a little teasing like if someone paints their truck purple. But to just basically say that something is stupid and if you do it you are stupid... well, can't really see how that could be a good thing.

Cutting a car down is just silly. The best comparison is chopping a motorcycle or cutting up a truck to make a ratrod (which handle worse, drive worse, etc). But a bobbed deuce actually steers better, brakes better, and if you run the bigger tires as most people do with a bobbed deuce, it rides better on the radials and drives faster. You also drop 5k lbs so the truck is quicker accelerating and gets better fuel mileage (I know, I know, your truck gets 15mpgblahblahblah, but it would get better if you dropped 5k lbs and lost the friction of the other tires), easier to maneuver around parking lots, on and on and on.

I LOVE 6 wheeled deuces, and I LOVE bobbed deuces. To me it's apples and oranges. They are different. To me it's like comparing a Jeep Wrangler to a Ford F350. Two different things.

Also, as you know, this is the DEUCE MODIFICATION AND HOT RODDING forum. If you look up "Hot Rodded and Modified Deuce" in the Webster Dictionary you will see a bobbed deuce sitting on 395's (what would you put as the picture, a stock deuce with bigger tires and a muffler?). Bobbers are the essence of modifying and rodding... are they not?

Not even sure what to say about the CUCV comment... just shaking head. :roll:

Last but not least, IT IS MY TRUCK, I PAID FOR IT.

pjpiche1

it doesnt ride to bad just dont leave it on there to long .cuz it will make the hitch get close to the ground.i had it stacked over the roof and two ft over the top of the cab with concrete.pulling my 8000lb tractor with another 5000 lbs of concrete on the front of the trailer.when i pulled into the yard to dump it they waved me around the scale they said they couldnt let me scale it since then they could be liable . they estimated that load of whatwas in the bed at around 50000lbs. it was the most i hauled with the truck.i was around 75000-80000lbs combined . i had to really leave alot of room to stop i had to more less coast to a stop. scarey real scarey i wont be doing that one again

This is merely just a suggestion. I would not advertise STUPIDITY!!!!! It sure isn't helping your case!

tm america

if i said the sky was blue you would have something to say wouldnt you .please reread my previous post .i am simply saying there are more than one way to do things and bobbing isnt the best answer it might be a cheap answer just not the best.i would put a picture of a 600 hp cummins powered deuce with 5 ton rear suspension and 52s for the pic in the dictionary as it still looks like a deuce not a m105 with a deuce cab on the front of it .the pic of the modded deuce would have it burning rubber as it would be able to do i to me building a truck invloves making it bigger meaner and tougher.if i get a pickup i think of putting a lift bigger motor . not dropping it and making it easier to drive on the road so i guess i just look at it differently than you . to me its about being the big dog . not and truck that was made from the parts of a big dog.many vehicles are made bigger and less streetible to make them meaner or faster. look at top fuel dragsters dont think you would be parking them at a supper market.but they are the fastest meanest ride out there .look at monster trucks dont think they will fit in the parking spot but no other truck does what they do .they are the big dog of the offroad world..you live in a glass house throwing stones .you critisize me for how i come across when giving my opinion but yet you do the same exact thing too. hmmm:roll:guess you must be better than the rest of us since your opinion is better than everyone elses.the fact is 6x6s and bobbers serve two different purposes.each have trade offs and one is not better than the other .if you want to tow or haul heavy loads 6x6 if you want to go to the grocery store with it or plow the bobber is probably the way i just dont get cutting it down i have no problem parking my truck or turning in a parking lot as it is am i missing something.or do i just have a realistic idea of how my 6x6 will drive and what it can do.look at the truck trails they run the biggest badest trucks we will ever see the tatra8x8 they go through things no unimog could dream of going thought.i dont think of fitting through the trail i make my own or make the trail big enough so turn radias is nill to to tree knocking down power having the extra 3000lbs and extra axle of traction

I bought my deuce fully intending to bobb it. Why, becouse it is the coolist looking bang for my buck truck out there. Where else can you get a truck all those parts at pennies on the dollar of orginal value. I'm just starting on mine but I know that doing all the work myself will be no walk in the park. I admire all the hard work people have done on theirs and hope I can make mine look as good. When it's done I am sure my boys will be bugging me to see who I will it to. That being said, this sure is a great site.

tm america

pjpiche1 what i was doing with my truck was pure stupidity.but the fact the truck handled it and didnt break in half shows how tough these trucks are as 6x6. i do several stupid things with my truck and it takes it and comes back for more i love it nothing else can do this .

butter551

i have a bob and i would be open to trading it for a 6x6. i like the look better.
it makes the truck a little more practical being bobbed however i want the extra axle.

donkdonk

if i said the sky was blue you would have something to say wouldnt you .please reread my previous post .i am simply saying there are more than one way to do things and bobbing isnt the best answer it might be a cheap answer just not the best.i would put a picture of a 600 hp cummins powered deuce with 5 ton rear suspension and 52s for the pic in the dictionary as it still looks like a deuce not a m105 with a deuce cab on the front of it .the pic of the modded deuce would have it burning rubber as it would be able to do i to me building a truck invloves making it bigger meaner and tougher.if i get a pickup i think of putting a lift bigger motor . not dropping it and making it easier to drive on the road so i guess i just look at it differently than you . to me its about being the big dog . not and truck that was made from the parts of a big dog.many vehicles are made bigger and less streetible to make them meaner or faster. look at top fuel dragsters dont think you would be parking them at a supper market.but they are the fastest meanest ride out there .look at monster trucks dont think they will fit in the parking spot but no other truck does what they do .they are the big dog of the offroad world..you live in a glass house throwing stones .you critisize me for how i come across when giving my opinion but yet you do the same exact thing too. hmmm:roll:guess you must be better than the rest of us since your opinion is better than everyone elses.the fact is 6x6s and bobbers serve two different purposes.each have trade offs and one is not better than the other .if you want to tow or haul heavy loads 6x6 if you want to go to the grocery store with it or plow the bobber is probably the way i just dont get cutting it down i have no problem parking my truck or turning in a parking lot as it is am i missing something.or do i just have a realistic idea of how my 6x6 will drive and what it can do.look at the truck trails they run the biggest badest trucks we will ever see the tatra8x8 they go through things no unimog could dream of going thought.i dont think of fitting through the trail i make my own or make the trail big enough so turn radias is nill to to tree knocking down power having the extra 3000lbs and extra axle of traction
I feel like I am taking stupid pills. I keep reading this post trying to make sense of it and I keep getting lost.

You sound like a kid who wanted a Hotwheels but got Dinky toys instead so he told everyone in site that Hotwheels are terrible. I mean why?

And what is this about dropping a deuce? 99% of people who look at a bobbed deuce on 395's that have only seen stock ones think they are lifted with big tires. Here is what I hear most: THAT THING IS HUGE!, THAT LOOKS LIKE A MONSTER TRUCK!, THAT THING IS A BEAST!, THAT IS THE BIGGEST, BADDEST TRUCK I HAVE EVER SEEN!

When did I ever state an opinion? I stated facts.

You do not simply say there is more than one way to do things, you state your opinion that bobbed deuces are stupid and you mock the people that have them.

Here is my opinion: Bobbed deuces are awesome looking and I think they are cool and lots of fun. Stock trucks are cool, they have history, and they are fun. I paid hard earned money for my truck and I will do with it whatever I please and expect no keyboard jockey to make me feel like I am stupid for doing what I think is cool to my own truck. END OF STORY.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks