• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why should I buy a 5-ton?

dk8019

So I like my M109, and it's going to get it's first use as a camper over the Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm thinking I need a cargo bed Deuce or maybe a 5-ton. Why should I buy a 5-ton over a Deuce, any other advantages over weight carrying capability. It looks like some on GL are going for quite a bit, but I sure do like how they look.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
5-tons have better weight capacity if that's what you need. They also have power steering. The more powerful engines tend to hold speed better on long grades, but they take longer to get to top speed than a deuce. They are considerably larger so if space is an issue, then stick with a deuce. 5-tons are easier/cheaper to fit with super-singles if that's what you want. They tend to be more expensive so if you are budget minded, then stick with a deuce.

I'm sure folks will chime it with lots of other reasons for or against. Good luck with you decision, or better yet, keep both!! :D

vinny-socom1

I've owned both and the 5ton rides/power is well worth it. plus I like the idea of being able to put the larger tires with no issues but thats my 2cents Vinny

dk8019

Space isn't really an issue, I would like power steering to be sure. Any issues with titling them as a standard truck? The brake system is air over hydraulic, correct?

We own M35's and 5 tons. The 5 tons are more meaty there is no questions about that- bigger axles, t-case, a Cummins engine about twice the CI as a multi, much bigger spring packs, larger stance, etc, etc. Most guys for hobby use are going to have a hard time overloading their M35 so the extra capacity of the 5 ton for most is just for bragging rights. The Multi fuels start MUCH better in the colder weather than the Cummins. The multifuel also has a throatier exhaust note than the Cummins (a nice plus!). Power steering is nice in the 5 tons but I think the non power steering on the M35 makes the deuce that more interesting to drive. It's hard to beat a 5 ton on 1600's though for looks. The M35 will get around 10mpg on the highway where the M809 5 tons get around 6mpg. You won't go wrong with either.
Andy

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's a lot more fun to towbar something using a 5 ton instead of a Deuce.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, air over hydraulic. Brake drums weigh about as much as a bare small block. Everything compared to a deuce is just massive. 20 lugnuts to change an inner rear tire, 100 to remove all tires. Deuces can run on some weird stuff cutting operating costs. My personal favorite is opposite of what everyone else says. No powersteering is a big plus, let me explain. When I had my M54A2C many friends and family would "borrow" it to move their junk. Now that I have only deuces, I don't have that problem. Seems that when they find it has manual steering, they rent a u-haul.

Last edited:

dk8019

Not a bad idea Pappa, could look pretty cool I suppose. I'm definetely keeping the M109, she seems to be a good truck, the 5-ton would be in addition to, so I would have a large cargo bed for moving anything that needed moving.

poppop

I drove my M813 to the Ga Rally and towed the Duece to play with. Hardly knew the Duece was behind me except on dirt when it refused to follow. I love the BIGGNESS of the 813, its power and the power steering. I have three five tons, but now I also have three dueces. I love my little dueceys also.

DavidWymore

Which one is better for offroading? A coworker who was a driver in the army said the deuce does better. I like the idea of more power, bigger tires, and power steering though.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I disagree. CDL requirements are not needed for vehicles under 26,000 pounds, without air brakes, and not being used for commercial purposes.

Other words don't use it for making money, and don't go over a total weight of 26K and it won't matter when, where, or who stops you.....you are legal.

There are alot of differences between states and what they say....let's forget that when the whole CDL thing was set up it was to be a federal standard the same for evey state......this matter however is a standard.
Correct, but a 5 ton has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds and that is what Beastmaster was pointing out. The OP asked about a 5 ton versus a 2.5 ton truck and a CDL can be a major factor in what you go with. But as you mentioned CDL requirements can change from state to state. The thing about the federal guidelines was that they were a minimum set of requirements for each state to use to set up their CDL programs. The states had to at least follow the federal guidelines and they had the power to add additional requirements. This was done to set a minimum level of standards in the trucking industry as some states at the time had next to no standards at all. It was not to force all states to have the same standards as everyone else as I don't think they have the power to do that (would be nice if they could though).

Another problem is while you might be lucky to live in a state that doesn't require a CDL for personal use (like Virginia) you have to watch out when driving out of state. The first time I drove south out of VA on I-95 with a truck and trailer I got a big surprise at the first weigh scale I hit in NC. Since I was over 26,000 pounds at the scale (my total weight was 32,000 pounds) I was ticketed for not have a trip permit or fuel permit (IFTA). The fines for said tickets came to $590. I drove the same truck and trailer from VA to Florida, then from Florida I went to southern CA, and then up I-5 to Washington. After NC I learned to call ahead to each state I had to drive through and asked about permits. Most states said that since I was not for profit (it was a personal truck with my own stuff in it and I wasn't being paid for driving the truck) I didn't need any permits. Some states said I was okay as far as tags but had to buy a fuel permit. And a couple of states made me pay for trip permits since I didn't have apportioned tags. What was a real pain was when I would get stopped at the scales of a state that told me a didn't need any permits. The people at the scales thought otherwise (they wanted to cite me for lack of permits) but since I had kept a log of who I talked to at the main office I would have to wait while they called and checked on things. Since they had other trucks coming in I was put at the bottum of the list and would sometimes end up waiting an hour or so. Then when I proved them wrong they would look over my truck looking for the slightest thing to write up. By the time I got to WA I was ready to go postal.

So back to the original question about getting a 5 ton instead of an M35. If you are lucky enough to live in a state the doesn't require a CDL for big trucks then that is a big plus for you. If not then you will have a lot of other issues to worry about and for the most part it would not be worth it. Right now we are back in Alaska and up here I have to have a CDL to drive my Dodge semi trucks. Alaska allows RV's to get away without a CDL but not personal use trucks over 26,000 pounds, even if they have antique plates.

Ruppster
http://www.dodge-semis.com/

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here's how I see it. The deuce is an outstanding truck.
Lets call it a VW.
The 5ton...especially the 250 powered ones are more than outstanding. Lets call it a Lincoln Town Car.
Oh...and like MB says...size does matter!!:cry: