• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the Deuce Doesn't Have These I'll Never Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf.Dose

Alaska to Cape Horn

Without reading me through all the posts I only like to commantate: About 25 years or more , as far as I remember, a group with four or five CJ7 (I can check it with suffisiant time im my literature!) made it from Alaska to Cape Horn, the Pan American Highway by that time did not exist somewere from southern Mexico to somewere in Bolivia. And the US guys succeded.
The Dakar in the beginning was not joint by US-teams. I was in a group which discussed to join the Dakar with a Willys Jeep, a Dodge WC52 and a Jimmy as a team to prove that also WWII veterans are able to cover the Dakar successfuly. This was 1981 to 1982. The enterprise was stopped due to lac of time of the possible participants (Sorry, we had to work for our money.). The money to finance the vehicles was available! A french comrade of mine did it with an ANTAR 5/4 ton French Army truck without special preparations in 1982 or 1983. I do not remember the year precicely. He finished in time! And got the fairness cup, which by that time was still presented to the most fair team.

Last edited:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Without reading me through all the posts I only like to commantate: About 25 years or more , as far as I remember, a group with four or five CJ7 (I can check it with suffisiant time im my literature!) made it from Alaska to Cape Horn, the Pan American Highway by that time did not exist somewere from southern Mexico to somewere in Bolivia. And the US guys succeded.
The Dakar in the beginning was not joint by US-teams. I was in a group which discussed to join the Dakar with a Willys Jeep, a Dodge WC52 and a Jimmy as a team to prove that also WWII veterans are able to cover the Dakar successfuly. This was 1981 to 1982. The enterprise was stopped due to lac of time of the possible participants (Sorry, we had to work for our money.). The money to finance the vehicles was available! A french comrade of mine did it with an ANTAR 5/4 ton French Army truck without special preparations in 1982 or 1983. I do not remember the year precicely. He finished in time! And got the fairness cup, which by that time was still presented to the most fair team.
Thanks for the support...

stampy

Look, many here have exceptional knowledge and it seems to me that, if I have no experience at something, as a learned individual, I would seek out someone who does and pay them to do it for me or learn how to do it from them. There are talkers and there are people who make it happen...Most here seem to make it happen. If you only speak from textbook experience and have no practical experience then you are a fool to argue with those who have real world experience. I don't think anyone here would claim a deuce to be an exceptionally capable off road vehicle for ALL situations. I say go ahead modify, experiment and go find the worst situation to put your vehicle in to test it, just don't expect a tow from anyone you have insulted:roll:

Last edited:

alexace

wait, on the m35a2 the air shift only engages front wheel drive, and the front wheel drive is not a locked diff, it acts just like one of the rear axles, right?

armytruck63

To test for any "splitting" in the transfer case, do this on level ground: Jack up both rear axles and put them on appropriately sized jackstands with the wheels just off the ground. If you truck has air shift, engage it, for a sprag clutch truck do nothing. Put the truck in gear and drive off the jack stands. You will at LEAST get spinning front wheels trying to pull the truck off the stands.

I had to move a truck with a damaged (and removed) transfer case to forward rear axle driveshaft by carefully driving the truck in front wheel drive, so I know this works. If the trasnfer case had any kind of splitting action, the truck would not have moved.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't make me read this!:wink:

Snarky

I made it through about 3 pages of this thread before I gave up. The transfer case on air engaged transfer case provides equal power. The sprag engages front wheel drive when the back slips, I'm fairly sure the power is also the same, but my truck has the air transfer case. Any power loss felt is because the multifuel is a bit of a dog (you know it's true).

The problem with these trucks, as I'm sure 19 pages have said is that the differentials themselves are open, you can add the automatic lockers that work similar to the sprag transfercase, when one side of an axle slips, it'll lock and engage the other side. Or you can add an Air locker and engage the locker at will.

No matter what you do it's expensive and complicated, and THATS why they didn't come like that from the factory.

The good news is you don't have to lock all three axles, although that would be an impressive amount of traction. One axle with a locker will make a world of difference, as you rarely have both sides of an axle stuck, usually just one wheel spins out.

Locking the front would provide the best traction if your front wheel drive works (a lot of sqrag trucks have malfunctioning front wheel drive), locking the middle will make sure that the axles that almost always has power also has traction, and locking the rear will benefit you if you want to pull yourself out of an obstacle rather than trying to push your way through it, though, some people disable that rear axle to save fuel and make turning easier, or remove it when they decide to bob a truck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.