• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the fuss?

67_C-30

I drove the CUCV's and the pickups in the Army plus anything else with wheels (and some things tracked). I was never a big fan of them due to the grimlin prone electrical system.

But all vehicles have their problems including my deuces.

I guess it is just a matter of taste and what your frustration factor can tolerate.
So they had the electrical gremlins early on? I always wondered if that was case, or if they started after they sat around.

Disciple

These things bring pretty decent coin in civi land, so GL is the cheapest way to get them. .
I read something interesting online a while back (take it for what it's worth). Apparently some math whiz added up all the stuff these trucks come with, figured out the value in today's dollars (HAH!) adjusted for inflation, and determined that if you were to buy this same truck new today, you'd be paying over $50,000 for it!

I SAVED over $46,500 on my truck!!! Beat THAT!

Whitey

I read something interesting online a while back (take it for what it's worth). Apparently some math whiz added up all the stuff these trucks come with, figured out the value in today's dollars (HAH!) adjusted for inflation, and determined that if you were to buy this same truck new today, you'd be paying over $50,000 for it!

It's the truth. Same as with any vehicle, buy it if you like it and can afford it. Also, as mentioned earlier, they are in demand for the fellow who wants a more daily driver kinda setup. I've been in a few auctions where I later find out bidders wanted them for their teen drivers.

dunedigger

I usually have 10 chevy trucks at one time. My newest truck is an 87. I'm old school and these fit me just fine. Out of all my trucks I have the most fun driving the military stuff. That is my opinion. If you don't like them it makes me happy. If everyone wanted them the bidding wars would be even worse.

67_C-30

That sounds like my wife's logic! -lol "Hey baby, I spent $100 on some shoes, but they were 75% off, so I saved us $300!!!!!!!!" aua;-)

GoldComet6

My take is along the same lines:
Deuces and other larger MVs are great - I really like them! But since I live in a subdivison a larger truck just aren't practical and isn't even allowed within my city zoning. They take up more space when I don't have that much as it is. I don't have a business or a farm, so actually using the Deuce's hauling or towing capabilites probably wouldn't happen often. The additional items like buying more tires and dealing with the other issues that come with a larger truck plays a part too. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the larger MVs! But they're just not a good fit for me at this time.

The CUCVs (while not perfect) fill a niche in the hobby. I can park it at home and drive it anywhere, anytime. Plus it can be parked in my garage to work on it and it will fit in the parking deck at work. They also offer most parts at a local store or through many catalogs. Loading/unloading an M1008 & M1009 with stuff is easier than a Deuce because of the bed height. It's just an all around good compromise MV for those that don't have lots of space or really need a bigger size truck. They are based on standard size Chevy trucks, so that makes me feel more comfortable owning it - more within my knowledge & skill level. But they're just different enough from other trucks to stand out - green paint, diesel engine, brush guard and the former owner adds personality.

I can buy a Deuce (A2 or A3) for less than a CUCV, so looks like others see the value in the CUCVs too. That demand speaks for their capabilites and personality.

Of course for a life long Ford guy, owning a chevie is going to require an adjustment or two. Haven't even told the chevy guys I work with about it yet. After all of those chevy jokes I have told.....I'll have to be ready for a lot of laughs and harassment. I'm sure they will love my M1009.

Last edited:

xenocath

searching.............
my truck although not new or fancy is diesel 4x4 chevy and will cause a man in a brand new truck to snap his neck to take a look at me drive by what is not to love? besides it is designed to be driven operated and fixed by folks alot more clueless than i am mechanically so i can usually get it fixed with minimal cash outlay.
I am seriously looking for a duece as a zombie apocalypse vehicle but my assault on the local wally world parking facility and daily drive to work will be handled by a smaller more troublesome but just as cool as a duece, m1008 CUCV.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Own one, and you will understand
I'll add fule to the flame :)

commets like this are pushing me more and more away from this fourm

Well i like my M1009 it looks great,,, It's EZ to work on and such but a M35 turns more heads then my blazer does... Thes vehicles are nothing but base runners not a front line combat vehicles. I wanted a humvve but i could't save up enough money 24,000$$$$$$$ and the sad part is when i go to the military club meets nobody looks at my blazer they all look at the older military vehicles..... sigh.:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:auaauaaua

ralbelt

I wanted to learn about diesel engines and had never owned one, these are simple to work on and with all the info on here I have been able to fix the few problems that have risen with a few hours of reading. Now when I learn about a new potential problem I go looking for it before it finds me.

Plus I can take my grandsons for a ride.

Did I say thank you SS.

soule64

Nostalgia for me. I was fielded brand new CUCVs when I Was a private back in '84. Drove a 1008 in Desert Storm a few years later - crossed the berm on day two in it. It always got me where I needed to go and back. The HMMWVs were great later on, but I always missed the CUCVs. When I sat in one at the DRMO last summer the smell and feel of it flashed me back 20 years. I had to have it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contrary to wreckerman, I find the electrical system fascinating. Mine have never had an issue and I have the best of both the 12V world and the 24V world. I can slave my deuce and drive right over and jump my civy burb. No frills baby. The BO system is just plain cool too!

flighht2k5

Banned
The Deuces and other trucks are great, but at times not very practical.

The CUCVs are more useful intown and get very good fuel mileage. The M1009s have been averaging 20mpg. Also you can use biofuel when gas goes to $5/gal

They are also more robust than the civilian counterparts.
They are not more robust than the civvie counterpart. M1009's have 10 bolt trashy axles just like the civvie model, an np208 turbo 400 all just like the civvie version. What's more robust about it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not more robust than the civvie counterpart. M1009's have 10 bolt trashy axles just like the civvie model, an np208 turbo 400 all just like the civvie version. What's more robust about it?

For the 1009, J code engine. For the M1028s and such, traclock front diff and a Detroit NoSpin in the arse.

transman

I so ld a 1008 to a friend who put his teenage daughter in it. hated it at first but can't get her out of it now as she tells all the prettyboy trucks to put up or shut up !

67_C-30

M1009's have an extra rear leaf, the J code 6.2, and the TH400 was not available for a civi K5. The C code 6.2 and 700R4 was all you coiuld get for the civi Blazer...