• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why these hoops around the rear shackle hooks?

Micmada

So I am watching videos of captured or destroyed Russian trucks (which makes me cry a bit for the truck). They look very similar to US trucks, no doubt a result of Ford providing them in WWII. What are these metal hoops around the shakles for at the rear of trucks? I have the same set up on my 5 ton on each side of the hitch.

Attachments

Guruman

Not so new member
Bumperettes.

Protect body of truck when being backed up so does not damage body when impacting obstacle.
Yeah. The old WWII Jeeps had them, and they carried over into the civilian models for many years. the civvy ones were cheap trash, but I think the earlier military ones were some kind of spring steel, so they were tougher.

They were kind of handy. You could use them as a step, a hanger, a bootscraper.... It was also handy for giving a stuck vehicle ahead of you a little nudge without causing any damage to anything important.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I am watching videos of captured or destroyed Russian trucks (which makes me cry a bit for the truck). They look very similar to US trucks, no doubt a result of Ford providing them in WWII. What are these metal hoops around the shakles for at the rear of trucks? I have the same set up on my 5 ton on each side of the hitch.
One of the things I have not noted is use of trailers by the Russians. I was expecting to see lots of use but very little shown in the news outlets.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
M818's and other tractor trucks don't have the bumperettes either.
View attachment 861667
It is hard to tell - but on this particular truck - do the tires stick out beyond the end of the frame? Where maybe if the tractor couldn't be pushed because a set of bumperettes would suggest that a driver could push something that shouldn't be pushed? OR maybe that these machines would mostly be dragging a trailer - and a helper push would be against the trailer?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks