• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why won’t my volt gauge work

Chuckanut

Hello I have a 1986 M1028 with the original 24 V system and when I got it the volt gauge doesn’t work. I checked the fuse box, the fuse was OK. I’m wondering if it’s the resistor on the gauge but I’m not sure how to test it or how many ohms to test it for. PS if the gauge isn’t working does that affect if the batteries charge.

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

cucvrus

Could be many things. Is the relay under the radio plate in place? The voltmeter will not effect battery charge rate. Does the voltmeter have voltage in the wire leading to the plug connector? Check all these. You can source a new 24 volt meter on line. Get one that the outer ring is not a ground or it will stay on reading voltage all the time. That kills batteries slowly. Also is it still 24 volt or has it been converted? Good Luck. Take Care.

MarcusOReallyus

Good questions from Rick, as usual. Walk through them before you do anything else.

Your resistor should be 300 ohms, but disconnect from any battery power before measuring it.

They are readily available online. 300 ohms, minimum 5 watts. Not a problem if it's more than 5 watts. Literally, it could be 50,000 watts. No problem. As long as it's 300 ohms, minimum 5 watts, you're good.

Chuckanut

Could be many things. Is the relay under the radio plate in place? The voltmeter will not effect battery charge rate. Does the voltmeter have voltage in the wire leading to the plug connector? Check all these. You can source a new 24 volt meter on line. Get one that the outer ring is not a ground or it will stay on reading voltage all the time. That kills batteries slowly. Also is it still 24 volt or has it been converted? Good Luck. Take Care.
It’s still 24 volt. we did not check the voltage to the gauge yet we will tomorrow, and yes the relay is back there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks