• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why would someone buy this?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2010 L3 OFNW8 MEP-816B 60kW Gen Set

60 kW, 400 Hz, 120/208 Volts 3 Phase, 240/416 Volts 3 Phase, 120V Receptacles, John Deere Diesel Engine, Fuel Tank
US $14,550

Sold Nov 1 2017

Meter Reading: 2 Hours
Serial Number: HX60474
Location GA

Are the parts alone worth it? What am I missing out on?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part of the problem is people are still panic buying, and aren't paying attention to that pesky 400hz detail. I do think are are some non military uses for the 400hz machines, but they are pretty limited.

NormB

Maybe for their military jet collection?

I'm still amazed at people buying whole house generators of the 15-30 kW variety for "prepping." Like there's going to be GAS (LPG, gasoline) available when the EMP hits.

A small tactical quiet 5-10 kW DIESEL engine makes SO much more sense to me.

To each his/her own.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe for their military jet collection?

I'm still amazed at people buying whole house generators of the 15-30 kW variety for "prepping." Like there's going to be GAS (LPG, gasoline) available when the EMP hits.

A small tactical quiet 5-10 kW DIESEL engine makes SO much more sense to me.

To each his/her own.
Those people who don't know what they are missing, will find out when the time comes. You prepare as you see fit today. I love showing folks what they are missing, one machine at a time.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think its because the don't do their required reading on Steel Soldiers. There's a wealth of information on here.
Most people don't know enough about basic electricity, let alone what an advanced machine like this is, and what all the 'military vernacular' is. Don't underestimate dumb decisions in stressful situations... its a real thing (Look at Washington, DC for the best examples).

Demoh

And what really gets me because I spreadsheet and watch all of GP's mep 5s and 10s, I was watching the 400hz units were pulling more money than the equivalent 60hz units maybe 4-6 weeks ago. I dont get it. Maybe people with a crapton of incandescent lights?

Like I can understand parts units but they've been going for a premium.

AndyT

And what really gets me because I spreadsheet and watch all of GP's mep 5s and 10s, I was watching the 400hz units were pulling more money than the equivalent 60hz units maybe 4-6 weeks ago. I dont get it. Maybe people with a crapton of incandescent lights?

Like I can understand parts units but they've been going for a premium.

Probably because people that don't know anything think , "...if 60hz is good, 400hz must be way better.."

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The larger 400hz generators are used for aircraft ground power. Avionics run at 400hz. The 5, 10 and 15k versions are too small for most civilian aircraft ground support use. Civilian ground power gens are big bucks. Still some of the buyers are probably mistaking the gens for 60hz use. But there is a good market for the 30k and up 400hz models.

Guyfang

Staff member
What's the price for a new John deere engine?

and yes, ground power 400 hertz is expensive.

The 5&10 kw's can be used to power repair facility's. Although a transformer would be more cost effective.