• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why would the ear break off

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I started installing the alternator I have had such a time with , getting the right pully.
Put the 2 bottom bolts in rolled it up into place and it fit perfect. Started to screw in the top bolt that holds tension, and did not even have it snug yet where it would hold it self in place and the top ear cracked off. Not enough where it came off, it just cracked all the way through. I don;t get it, everything lined up perfect and no tention on anything yet. Why would it break?

det rebel

check your forward and backwards play it your have been in a bind i have seen on some trucks the bottom bracket moves and that happens if you could send a pic i could tell you more

FormerNewMVGuy

I've had that happen once to me also, cant explain it though. Lucky enough i had a couple bad ones laying around so i changed the front housing.

I also remember sending the other good one i had Dogheads way, so i guess it happens to the best of us.....

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never had a slight misalignment of the slotted bar that this ear attaches to be able to exert enough force to crack the ear off. I suggest that the alternator had been mishandled some time in its life, starting a crack in the ear from being knocked against something. This crack then finally led to failure. It is easy to repair this with TIG welding.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks