• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wide Variation in Rod Bolt Torque

JasonS

I replaced the 6 point rod bolts in an engine with the more modern 12 point and found that there is quite a wide variation in rod bolt torque specifications:
TM9-2815-204-35 (LDS427-2): 800 lb*in, 66.67 lb*ft
Troubleshooting the LDS465-1 Manual (1968): 1200 lb*in, 100 lb*ft
Hercules Svc Manual (1969): 100 lb*ft
White Engine D5000 Tech Svc Man (1981): 115 to 120 lb*ft
White Engine D4800 Op and Maint (1984): 115 to 120 lb*ft

So, nearly a factor of 2 increase in rod bolt torque from when the engine started production until its use in tractors, generators, etc. There is a similar (but not quite as wide) variation in main bolt torque.

I do wonder if the increase from 100 to 120 was due to the change to 12 point bolts. The White manuals are pretty clear that there were struggles in getting good head studs.

I used the white engine values since those were intended for the 12 point bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks