• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Widow maker rims

f3504x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am confused as to what is the difference between a split rim and a split ring. Which is the famous “ widowmaker”?
Second question, is it possible to have a mix of split rim and split ring on the drivers of a m109a3?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went and dug up a pic of the widowmakers for you.

Note the continuous outer ring on the killer in the pictures. Your deuce rims have a split locking ring. Not the same thing.

All that being said, my preference is bolt together 2 piece rims.

Oh, and a locking air chuck is a critical piece of safety equipment, especially when seating the bead.

Attachments

snowtrac nome

I went and dug up a pic of the widowmakers for you.

Note the continuous outer ring on the killer in the pictures. Your deuce rims have a split locking ring. Not the same thing.

All that being said, my preference is bolt together 2 piece rims.

Oh, and a locking air chuck is a critical piece of safety equipment, especially when seating the bead.
Ido lots of this style rims every summer and once the tire and bead ring are set there is no way the snap ring can come out. I had a big dock forklift this summer with 2 bad lock rings on it they needed to be replaced because they were sprung, this is where accidents likely come from, some one assembles a rim with unserviceable components . Once the rim is inflated that ring is locked under the bead ring there is no way for it to come out. the trick to any and all tires is to pay attention to what you are doing getting distracted can get you killed.

f3504x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ido lots of this style rims every summer and once the tire and bead ring are set there is no way the snap ring can come out. I had a big dock forklift this summer with 2 bad lock rings on it they needed to be replaced because they were sprung, this is where accidents likely come from, some one assembles a rim with unserviceable components . Once the rim is inflated that ring is locked under the bead ring there is no way for it to come out. the trick to any and all tires is to pay attention to what you are doing getting distracted can get you killed.
It sure can put a hurt on you!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old traditional "Split Rim", as I know them, actually had a rim that split in the center. As on a regular 16" drop center rim, picture the split where the drop center is. They at least came on the early '50s chevys that came with dual wheels & 750x20" tires. There was no ring whatsoever. The rim came apart in two halves, down the middle of the rim. No doubt on other vehicles as well used them. There is no way really to tell if they are locked.

I have one of those rear ends that I made a wagon out of. Will try to post a picture or two tomorrow, if I can figure out how to up-load it.

CMPPhil

This is the split rim on the first picture it looks like a modern wheel the split is hidden when on the truck unless its the out side duel .
Hi.

They also make good catch basin covers, all the catch basins on my road were covered with them 50 years ago when the road was built they're all still their holes are just the right size to keep the culverts from getting plugged with debris.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks