• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will 5 Tons be less expensive next year?

Stoner63

I'm looking for a 5 ton here in the south east. I've heard that many people feel that in 2014 there will be a lot more for sale and the prices will be lower. Any thoughts?

Stoner63

I've found some nice trucks but it seems they are all top far away from me. Many I've checked on are three states away or more from me. I'm going to look at a M931A2 located 2 hours from me this weekend. It has 46231.0 miles and 2385 hours on it. Runs and drive good from the owner. I really want a cargo truck. I'm also flying over to south GA next week to look at a M923A2 outside of Valdosta that's in great shape.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't even look at the miles/hours as many gauges have been changed. Have it previewed and get it from a distance if you have to.

Stoner63

If I find one a long way from here would it be OK to ask members in that area to look at it? People here has experience and own trucks so I would trust that more than taking a sellers word. I would feel better buying one from a member.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GL market is already flooded with M939 trucks. I don't see them going any lower.

When I started buying runner Deuces they where around $1000. Now you cant find a parts truck for under $1500.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They definetly sell for more from GL with this few trucks here and there coming out instead of 100 or so a week. From a business standpoint it would make more sense for GL to sell them slowly

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I personally think 14 will be a big year for certain areas. There is a reason there aren't as many in the east. One of the large organizations down there pure fleeted to FMTV's several years ago and their 939s became excess and were either sold off already or transferred to other units elsewhere. At that time, there were still units in the west that had deuces and to get them out of the system, the 939s were pushed to them. Said large organization had previously pure fleeted to 939A2's for years prior to that and that also impacted the economics of sending the A2's west.

Not saying there aren't going to be any but this did affect roughly 7000 trucks.

So look westward young man.

BTW, I go back east about every four months. If you buy one out in west TX or NM or AZ or even Barstow, I could potentially drive it east but this would have to be coordinated more fully. Conceptually it would work.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The scrap dealers will always bid them right to wholesale scrap price which is around $2000. So don't expect much cheaper than that.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Basic ecomonics; supply and demand will only tell. Shop where there is a lot.
True, but the latter isn't always true. I was planning on snagging a M105 at auction this week since there was a glut of them. They all closed for $400+ before taxes and fees. I had bought one a couple years back for $220 with a top and bows. There's just no pattern we can base these things off of. (BTW, these trailers weren't pristine either, they all had rust/damage issues, my $220 was in great shape)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sure, in 2014 5tons will be cheaper and so will health insurance!

The way the MV hobby is growing, I wouldn't wait. Buy now and be happy with what you get. You can always buy more later, if they get cheaper, but I doubt it.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless the scrap steel price takes a major hit, You are seeing the best prices on the east coast that you will see. If you want one bad enough, plan to by farther away, and have it shipped, or go and get it.......

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I know a Army Reserve unit that still has a butt load of 900 series trucks on a back lot waiting turn in. They are all A2 tractors and they look like they have been there a while. I have no idea why the unit hasn't turned them in since they have the new trucks in the Motor Pool. The longer they sit there, the worse shape they will be in when they are finally released.
There were a lot less 900 series trucks produced than deuces and I have no idea how many have left the system and gone through DRMO and GL.
I do know that a lot of the 900 series trucks are being drawn out of DRMO by state and county agencies before they are sent to GL. A lot of these trucks will be sold later and the money kept by those agencies. At the city storage lot in Centre, AL there are three dumps, one wrecker, two SEE's, an MKT and some generators. I spoke to the manager there and he said there is no plan to use them.
I remember buying deuces for less than 1000 bucks when the market was flooded.
The 900 series will prob never sell below scrap value since they are heavier than deuces and the scrappers can make a quick buck on them.

Al Harvey

I know a Army Reserve unit that still has a butt load of 900 series trucks on a back lot waiting turn in. They are all A2 tractors and they look like they have been there a while. I have no idea why the unit hasn't turned them in since they have the new trucks in the Motor Pool. The longer they sit there, the worse shape they will be in when they are finally released.

The 900 series will prob never sell below scrap value since they are heavier than deuces and the scrappers can make a quick buck on them.
Normally they will sit because no one wants to do the paperwork to turn them in. Also depends on the relationship the unit has with DRMO. If it's bad then turn in can be a nightmare. I was always on their good side but have seen the hassle when you piss them off. lol

Scrappers kill me. They will scrap something worth $5000 to make a quick $150.

I doubt the cost will really come down on GL. Now the cost of ones that are being resold on the market might come down as there are many jumping on the GL sales to flip them. That can lead to an excess in Supply because all the people trying to flip them are gonna be trying to unload them on the market outside GL.