• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a lds465-1a interchange with a ldt465-1c and what is the differance?

flatheadvff

I have a m35a2 with a White engine, ldt465-1c. THis engine has a hole where a con rod escaped the block. I also have a ldt465-1d engine in a crate from our local vfd's tanker truck. We are pretty sure it has a blown head gasket. I have found a rebuilt engine in crate from a local auction, It is marked a lds465-1a, it is missing the alternator, injection pump and turbo. I was wondering if the lds would interchange with my ldt and if my turbo and injection pump would bolt on and function. Thank you for your assistance. This is my first time to post so I hope I did it correctly. I'm much better turning wrenches then messing with computers, may be why I quit mechanicing for a living.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

flatheadvff

OK, I believe I have come across a good deal. From what I have read on other related strings, the lds is out of a 5 ton and has about 50 more horse power. The ldt is out of the 2.5 ton and will interchange with the lds. I will have to change out the bell housing and clutch assy. and maybe some other items, but the basic block and bolt patterns are supposed to be the same. Is this true and also td cast into the block was mentioned, where is this located? Again thank you for your assistance. I also didn't mention that at this time the price of the lds engine is less then the price of a gasket set to reseal afore mention bad head gasket on the ldt465-1d

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your LDT and LDS will swap just fine. Any parts the LDS is missing can be transferred from your LDT. Do not expect tons of more power as the LDS injection pump has a lot to do with the more power part. PM headed your way.

brianp454

Hey flathead

Sorry to hear about your loss. Would you be kind enough to write an explanation about what happened, take lots of pics, and post your findings on the thread below?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96654-Death-of-a-Multifuel

You'll also see a pile of questions I posted recently on that thread. Anything you can do to help us understand how these engines fail will be very appreciated.

Warm Regards!

I have a m35a2 with a White engine, ldt465-1c. THis engine has a hole where a con rod escaped the block. I also have a ldt465-1d engine in a crate from our local vfd's tanker truck. We are pretty sure it has a blown head gasket. I have found a rebuilt engine in crate from a local auction, It is marked a lds465-1a, it is missing the alternator, injection pump and turbo. I was wondering if the lds would interchange with my ldt and if my turbo and injection pump would bolt on and function. Thank you for your assistance. This is my first time to post so I hope I did it correctly. I'm much better turning wrenches then messing with computers, may be why I quit mechanicing for a living.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
run it in the can before you bother to put it in the truck. any engine in a can is a complete unkown unless YOU rebuilt it. it could just as easily be a core motor.

sandcobra164

I'm with the majority of this post. The LDS is a nice motor. I'm still with alot of people though, what makes the LDS superior to a LDT with a turned up pump. We've beat this to death in the Deuce Modification and Hotrodding section and I'm still without a concrete answer. I swapped a "C" turbo onto my truck, turned the fuel up and it runs like a raped ape. The C Turbo is supposed to be a detrimental mod, the "D" flow's more air but I love the whistle, but I've recently pulled a 24,000 pound additional load at 45 to 50 mph in some hills with no ill effects and I was letting off in the hills so I didn't melt the engine. Combined Weight of 37,000#. I'm certain my truck has an LDT-465-1D and has the embossed "TD". It came with a "D" Turbo, is happy with a "C" and pull's almost twice his weight without trouble. I'm curious as to what is so special about an LDS IP. I'm sure the timing and advance curve is a bit different but I've not seen anything posted to conclude such.

flatheadvff

Thanks again guys for the info. Just to give a little more info, The con rod had already escaped the block when I bought the truck. The ldt engine in the crate is out of my volunteer fire departments tanker. I was the driver on call when it began missing, It ran fine on the way to the fire, sat and idled while fighting the fire(dept rules you never kill the truck on scene), and when we got in the truck to return to station it was missing. We had just rebuilt the turbo and detuned the previously turned up injection pump(aparrantly to late). We pulled the valve covers and inspected the valve train which was functioning properly. Going no further we replaced the engine with the 1d crate motor from the forestry service. I bought the duece( an extra parts truck) as it was complete, troop seats, tarp, sparetire and carrier, etc. It even has good brake petal, and decent tires. The old engine out of the tanker was put in the crate from the 1d engine and I got it with the purchase of the truck. I am not sure of the designation of said core as I have nothing at home at this time to lift the lid off the crate, as you all know it is quite heavy. I grew up in a auto machine shop so rebuilding the engine is enjoyment to me. The only reason I was interested in the lds engine is availability and as mentioned before cheaper at this time, then a gasket set. I also know where the engine came from and know it is a new overhaul. Finding out it is a more powerful engine is just iceing on the cake. I have inspected the lds engine and found the td casting. It also has an old injection pump with it, but the rebuilt one was used on another truck. The alternator is still on the motor but was also swapped to another truck so it is only a core. Yes I will post pictures, but as ,again, afore mentioned I am not good with the computer and do not know how, that is why god gave us wives, and as soon as mine has time to waste on my wastedfull hoby she will help me post said pictures. I will know quickly if the price stays low or if on the last day of the auction it skyrockets, but now I know if the price stays low I can have my truck running quicker then previously planned.

flatheadvff

another update, The lds engine went too high and I missed it, but did end up with 8 11.00x20 tires. They remained to good a deal to pass up. Some of them still have the rubber nips of them they are so new. As the state just filled on me for 15 year old child support payments they have lost records of and are trying to collect unreal interst rates, every monetary venture has been put on hold while I pay lawyers to fix the state's screwup, so future updates will probably be a long way down the road. I got the tires just before being served. NICE

Flyingvan911

Ouch. Good luck. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get the records showing that you did pay and then see if you can get the state to pay your legal fees since the whole mess was their fault in the first place.