• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

will Deuce glass fit M37 windshield frame?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are the same; but the 900 series and also the early GMC's won't fit.:beer:

jmassenga

The inner frame will fit into a M37, but the wiper motor hole is in a different location on the deuce frames.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inner frame will fit into a M37, but the wiper motor hole is in a different location on the deuce frames.
Wiper motor holes are in two different spots for a deuce, you just have to get the one you want. Both fit. Gassers were offset, later they are centered.

CGarbee

Since the question has been answered... I'm just going to say that I'm also in Raleigh with both M37's and M809 series trucks in the yard... :) In case you want to take a gander at them... :)

Bill W

Since the question has been answered... I'm just going to say that I'm also in Raleigh with both M37's and M809 series trucks in the yard... :) In case you want to take a gander at them... :)
Watch it doin... Cabells definition of gander means you better be bringing a paint brush! :mrgreen:

dbcolts

Thanks.......just spent the last two hours Googling my local guys......1st guy said "you can't cut safety glass".
2nd guy.....my safety glass cutter is not working. But, he did recommend the 3rd guy.
3rd guy......is going to give me a quote for 4 of them. And knew what I needed, but won't bevel the edges...???......LOL14562757180_7a70fd20c3_o.jpg
David

dbcolts

Oh......where can I get a couple of the small "L" shaped corner inserts (windshield plug)?
Thanks,
David in the desert
3rd guy......is going to give me a quote for 4 of them. And knew what I needed, but won't bevel the edges...???......LOLView attachment 510819
David

199th mp

db, putting a slight bevel on the edge of the laminated safety glass is something you can do yourself. maybe the guy didn't invest in a belt machine. not every shop has them any more, since there is not a lot of that type of work being done by most places. get some 120 grit wet or dry sandpaper, carborundum grit belts for hand held machines are generally available in lots of places. wrap it around a small piece of 2 X 4, get a spray bottle full of water, keep the glass constantly wet, as well as the belt, and go back and forth along the edges, holding the block at a 45 degree angle. it won't be long before the edge is beveled enough that you can install it into the frame without having it cut your packing tape. when you get to that point, make sure that NO SILICONE is used on the frame. the chemical compound in silicone will eventually cause the frame to rust through, and these frames are not easy or cheap to find, so why risk it. remember, patience is your friend
when your working on glass, and heat is your enemy. keep the glass wet and you'll be fine. retired glazier, 44 years on the job. cut more safety glass than i could count.

dbcolts

Thanks for the input....you just reminded me that I have a belt driven commercial machine with carborundum-belts. I used it for my gunsmithing business 20 years ago. I just gotta dust it off and re-adjust the belt on it. I was going to use a belt sander.........but the commercial machine would be easier to use.
DavidDSCF5009.jpg

Bill W

You do not need to bevel the edges, just run some sandpaper over the edges to dull the corners/seams and you do this only because you don't want to cut yourself when your handling it later.

dbcolts

Thanks.......you're right.....they need to be beveled, just enough to not get cut. I've used belt sanders to do it before. I got other bids for $90+ for each panel. And finally settled on the guy at $80 each. I see that one of the military truck suppliers has them for $132, plus shipping.

Bill W

I just use 120grit foam blocks to dull my cut glass.
To bad your not local to me as I have the windshield glass here ( get them cut by my Glass supplier ) and was selling for almost half what your guy is charging