• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

will non turbo multifuel accept a turo setup??

Stan

It's my understanding that it will. I had the impression it was basically a parts swap. It has been discussed on here in more detail thought.

dmetalmiki

Well I wanted a "screemin" turbo on my m45 fire truck which was non turbo..so my nephew swiped a turbo off a spare engine we have....fitted it without probs!!(he IS ONLY 16!!) starts and runs great! performance? not much difference..cleaner exhaust? not really..dissapointed tho..(but only) coz the turbo aint a "screemer"..

CCATLETT1984

the turbo is a bolt-on, to gain some power with it you will need to turn up the fuel a little in the injector pump.
I RECCOMEND GETTING A PYROMETER BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TURN UP YOUR FUEL!!!!!!

houdel

MUDLORD said:
I tried to search this out but i got some 1800 posible hits on the seach section. so, will a non turbo multifuel motor work correctly with turbo manifold and related parts?
This is basically a no-brainer conversion. The non-turbo blocks were all drilled and tapped for the turbo oil supply and drain lines (the LD blocks were all built from LDS blocks, all LDS engines had turbos, all they did was put pipe plugs in the oil fitting holes).

Here is the basic list of parts you will need:

1. Turbo oil supply line elbow, oil supply line, oil supply line turbo fitting.
2. Turbo drain line block fitting, drain line hose and clamps, drain line turbo fitting.
3. Turbo breather tube (it is formed to bypass the turbo).
4. New gaskets for the supply and return line fittings to the turbo (they can easily be made from regular gasket material).
5. A few odd nuts and bolts.
6. An air inlet tube (the "U" tube) that runs from the turbo outlet to the air cleaner inlet.
7. A turbo exhaust system.
8. And, of course, a turbo and an exhaust gasket.

A few other considerations - BEFORE installing the turbo, drill and tap (1/8" NPT) the exhaust manifold just above the turbo flange for a pyrometer probe. Seal the opening with a brass plug if you do not want to install the pyro right away. I strongly suggest you install the pyro immediately so you can make sure your fuel setting is adjusted properly so you do not melt your newly installed turbo. Also you SHOULD adjust your injection pump timing, N/A engines were timed to inject at 27 degrees BTDC, turbo engines were timed at 20 degrees BTDC.

I think that about covers it. BTW, I am parting out an old turbo engine so I can supply you with all the parts except for the turbo, U pipe and exhaust system. Hope this helps!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: will non turbo multifuel accept a turo setup??

Nice answer Houdel :beer:

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor

thanks guys. i found a non turbo motor that was taken out of a truck thats realitivly close to my home. its on ebay. im going to try and bid on it for a spare. its complete with starter, generator injection pump, the whole nine yards even if it wouldnt work with my i think buyin it for the accessory stuff would be worth it. the way i drive my truck i will prolly be needing a motor in the future anyway. i beleive the previous owner turned up the pump so im prolly going to be installing a pyrometer on it real soon. i think it was turned up because my truck is oddly fast. i can get 72 mph out of it with the front tires at 70 psi and with selectro lockouts on it.

Banshee365

A clean-air kit comes with all of the exhaust and the u-pipe and couple from the turbo to the aircleaner. Extra things you need added on to houdel's list is the intake elbow off a turbo engine that bolts to the intake manifold and the compressor exit on the turbo and the 2 clamps for the hose. I bought a clean-air kit for $275 and a turbo and all the extra parts houdel mentioned including the intake elbow for $300. I'm very happy with the upgrade, it's all bolt on.

-Kelly

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

i can get 72 mph out of it
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Exhaust manifold is the same. Cranetruck wrote a very nice article for MVMag (Dec02').I can e-mail it if nec.Files are .jpg(x8)size 2meg. John's kits are nice.They have the real deal exhaust J, not the sloppy aftermarket piece I have. JimK

FreightTrain

Banned
To install the turbo you have to swap out the intake elbow(mounts to the intake manifold and has the flame heater),New Slobber tube,Oil and supply and drain tube,you have to have teh C pipe for the Turbo to air cleaner,the turbo mounts on the exhaust manifold where there is now a short 45degree iron elbow(on the N/A),and the Turbo exhaust which has no muffler.J shapped from turbo to Stack.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: will non turbo multifuel accept a turo setup

Mike, what size tires? I might be able to get 72 out of mine for a minute...before the rods get kicked out through a window. In order to run 60 with mine I have to run around 2700 rpm with 900x20. Even if you have 1100x20 tires you got to be over 3000 RPM.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mike, what size tires? I might be able to get 72 out of mine for a minute...before the rods get kicked out through a window. In order to run 60 with mine I have to run around 2700 rpm with 900x20. Even if you have 1100x20 tires you got to be over 3000 RPM.

houdel

Re: RE: Re: will non turbo multifuel accept a turo setup??

Banshee365 said:
A clean-air kit comes with all of the exhaust and the u-pipe and couple from the turbo to the aircleaner. Extra things you need added on to houdel's list is the intake elbow off a turbo engine that bolts to the intake manifold and the compressor exit on the turbo and the 2 clamps for the hose. I bought a clean-air kit for $275 and a turbo and all the extra parts houdel mentioned including the intake elbow for $300. I'm very happy with the upgrade, it's all bolt on. -Kelly
Kelly - I'm trying to sort out this info - you said you bought a "clean air kit" for $275. I've heard of these before but never knew what was in them. So I'm guessing you got a complete exhaust system, the turbo to air cleaner "U" pipe, two rubber connectors and four hose clamps in your "clean air kit". Is that correct, or was there anything else included?

Then you bought the turbo kit with the turbo fittings I mentioned (plus the air intake elbow which I forgot) for $300? I assume those were all used parts?

I think my engine had the air intake elbow, but didn't notice because I only had the engine container raised about 12" so I could pull off the turbo, but I do seem to recall pulling the rubber tube off the turbo outlet.

And by the way, where in TM 9- 2320-361-34P does it show the turbo discharge tube and the air intake elbow? I've looked in the Air Cleaner section, the Turbo section, and the Intake/Exhaust Manifolds section and couldn't find them anyplace!

I guess if MUDLORD can find himself a reasonable turbo, I can give him a pretty good deal on the rest of the turbo install parts. You spent $300 for your Turbo and install kit, I sold my turbo for $150, I certainly would not expect to get anywheres near $150 for the rest of the installation parts!

Banshee365

The clean-air kit includes everything to convert an NA truck to a Turbo truck except the turbo, oil lines, oil breather, and intake elbow with clamps and hose. It includes the first pipes off the back of the turbo, the flex pipe, j-pipe, and stack. Also includes the brackets that support it under the fender and up by the windsheild. It also includes the larger heat shield, u-pipe, 2 couples and clamps.

In simple terms, if you buy a clean-air kit you need these items as well: Turbo with oil inlet and outlet lines and fitting for both. Oil breather tube off a turbo engine. Intake elbow that connects to the intake manifold with the 2 clamps and, usually, orange intake hose. I would also suggest a new exhaust gasket for the turbo.

The 2 engine side nuts holding the turbo on the exhaust maifold are actually nuts with studs fixed into the manifold. Don't break them! The outer 2 are nuts and bolts, one of which I had to cut off with a torch.

Before you mount the turbo, put the right side socket on the end of a drill and spin it while pouring some oil down the oil intake just to get things ready for the initial start if it hasn't ran in a long time. You'll need to be careful with the heavy foot with a turbo and the fuel turned up or you'll melt all you work away. LOL

-Kelly

FreightTrain

Banned

Where did you get your Kit?So far I am looking at around $400.I have the turbo(Thanks!) and the install kit.I need the exhaust kit.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: will non turbo multifuel accept a turo s

Recovry4x4 said:
its about 2900rpms with 9.00 20s on it if i remember correctly, its been about a year since i last drove the truck. it was always faster than the other deuces friends of mine have had, but i wasnt able to get this speed out until i did the selectros with the high front tire pressure.used to get about 68 mph with out the selectros on it. i dont like going that fast with it all the time becuase like you said, somthing is gonna go flying. i say 72 becuase one time we tailed captain rpms 5 ton and his 813 topped out was 72. him and i were going to fill our trucks with pallets for a bone fire one night and i had it pinned all the way and when we got to the pallet pile he told me his truck was also pinned out. he told me there was lots of smoke and a funny smell
drag resistance is crazy. i found out the tire pressure makes a huge difference with the deuces. i had dropped my front pressure from 70 to about 30 psi once when i came into a sand pit where the sand was about the same as beach sand. at 70psi my front end was sinking so bad that it even had a hard time with the front locked. when i left the place i forgot i had lowered the tire pressure. i could only get about 47 mph out of it with 30 psi in the front tires. the backs were still at 50psi. i used to have a dummy hub i would run up front to unlock my front end so i wasnt spinning my out of balance front drive shaft. that helped alot but once i had them both unlocked with selectros there was a noticible difference from one side ulocked to both sides unlocked when it came to my max speed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks