• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will the M35 Be enough?

Godspilot

They all slow down on a hill. The power to weight ratio is just not there. Consider all the modern turbo diesel pickups are at least 300 HP and weigh in the 8K lbs range more or less. Even pulling a load a load they still have a higher power to weight ratio.

A M35A2 is 134 HP and 13K lbs, a M809 series is 240 HP and 20K lbs empty weight. The M939 series are heavier with no or little increase in HP over the M809 series. You just have to figure it is what it is and accept it. It's not going to go anywhere fast, but you can pull a big load if you need to.

The 5 tons have power steering. The newer M939 series have air brakes and automatic transmission too. The Deuce is neat, but the 5 tons are easier to drive. YMMV.

Good luck.
Thanks, not to get off subject but how often do you fly? I have a Grumman aa1b sitting in the garage that needs finished this year. Have my A&P but no pilot license yet. Is that a crop duster? Piper?

Godspilot

Towing a 40 foot container, with any tools in it, behind any truck using a M1022 dolly will require a CDL for three reasons. The first reason is that a trailer with a steering axle is a combined vehicle. The second reason is the combined weight of the dolly, container and tool is over 10,000 lbs. And the third reason is because this is part of your business it is commercial.
Already have the CDL in the works.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, not to get off subject but how often do you fly? I have a Grumman aa1b sitting in the garage that needs finished this year. Have my A&P but no pilot license yet. Is that a crop duster? Piper?
I fly one day a week or as needed towing gliders. The plane is a PA-25 Piper Pawnee ex-ag plane. It has a carbureted Lycoming 540, 250 HP.

If you are not already working on your pilots license, finish your plane and then you can get an instructor to give you instruction in your plane and save a few $. Being an A&P, I imagine you already know a few instructors.

I had a friend years ago that had one of the earlier Grummans like you have. I never flew it, but he said if it made more than a couple of turns in a spin it was unrecoverable. He flew it a lot and said it was a fun plane. Good luck finishing yours.

Jeepsinker

Yeah the hills here are not steep compared to some of those in Wyoming, but we do have some pretty long steep grades in the northwestern part of the state. And I know what a grade is after living in Colorado for some years and traveling all across the country.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are quite a few mv collectors within 50 miles of you in all directions. One fellow is a certified aircraft mechanic and spends time at/near the Warren Airport. He can direct you to more mv aircraft/owners in your area.

Godspilot

There are quite a few mv collectors within 50 miles of you in all directions. One fellow is a certified aircraft mechanic and spends time at/near the Warren Airport. He can direct you to more mv aircraft/owners in your area.
That's great! Do ya have his user name or can ya have him PM me:-D?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks