• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will the stock alternators charge 4 batteries?

Mohawk Dave

Hey SS, especially the Sparkys out there,

I have a few extra batteries laying around that I would like to run in parallel to the main ones. I am not fluent in DC.

Will the 2 100amp alts charge all 4? From my research, I am not certain. I searched here and still not certain. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/63501-triple-batteries.html

We run extensive electronics on our adventures, which is why I would like more stored juice.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

tcg528

I don't see why the alts wouldn't be able to charge your batteries. They'll probably charge slower than normal, but you most likely wouldn't even notice unless you're only running the engine for short periods of time. Just make sure you wire the 12v to the 12v batteries and the 24v to the 24v batteries.

emr

Yes they will, its like filing a pool. But the last batt will always be a little less because when the first ones fill the alt will sense a full charge and not completely fill the last and if they are not rotated the last one will sulfate because of a constant less charge , and be a lazy batt, always best for batt life to charge all separate fully before use each year, when they do not last because of sulfation just do not blame the batts if U do not take the time to do it right, like everything else, 99.9% is human error...:) good to ask though, there are a bazzilion articles on batts and stuff to look up on this site, all has been asked before... good luck... :)

Jersey4x4

Just remember that Alternators don't charge batteries, They only maintain and top off. If you try over and over again to charge a dead battery the alt. will die. Maybe not completely, maybe just the rectifier but it will fail for sure. That is why the Military kept the Generators for so long because they knew they would be abused. A Generator puts out DC and an Alternator puts out AC then changes it through the rectifier.

Mohawk Dave

Guys,

Thank you very much for the information and clarification. I appreciate it very much.

Have a great day,

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks