• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will this Harmonic balancer Work on my m1008 From napa

Wondering if this Harmonic Balancer will work from napa as the original gm number didnt cross but i looked this up by application.(84 Chevy k30 6.2 diesel) Also is this a Fluid Dampener or is it just like the orginal. They have this one listed. For $63.00 though they have to order it.

Part Number: BK 6005282
Product Line: Balkamp

Attributes diameter : 7 29/32"
Manufacturer : Dorman Automotive Manufacturing
Manufacturer Part Number : 594-128
Weight : 12.5 lbs
Width : 3 5/32"

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

That appears to be the elastomeric damper. This is an externally balanced engine, that is provided by the eccentric weight. The harmonic damping is provided by the outer ring, when a cylinder is compressing, the outer ring's momentum over-runs the hub, decreasing the crankshaft's deceleration. When that cylinder fires, the crankshaft accelerates, now the increase in momentum is transferred to the outer ring. This decreases the torsional load on the crank and the corresponding fatigue.

Fluid dampers do not have greater effect in reducing cyclical stress on the crankshaft. They may have increased life, the best hydraulic shock absorbers have a finite life. As do most items which convert mechanical energy to heat.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search "594-128"

MarcusOReallyus

That appears to be the elastomeric damper. This is an externally balanced engine, that is provided by the eccentric weight. The harmonic damping is provided by the outer ring, when a cylinder is compressing, the outer ring's momentum over-runs the hub, decreasing the crankshaft's deceleration. When that cylinder fires, the crankshaft accelerates, now the increase in momentum is transferred to the outer ring. This decreases the torsional load on the crank and the corresponding fatigue.

Fluid dampers do not have greater effect in reducing cyclical stress on the crankshaft. They may have increased life, the best hydraulic shock absorbers have a finite life. As do most items which convert mechanical energy to heat.

Fascinating.

Uh, was that a "Yes" or a "No"? :?

Well I was once told that my ball was never fully on the court [thumbzup] With that being said will it work or not if that one isnt right whats the part number for one that will work.I looked through the site and found an original part number but it wouldnt cross to anything.

Keith_J

It is a yes. Harmonic dampers don't last forever.

I got mine from O'Reilly, it is a Precision Part product, made in Australia. $62.99 which is less than Rock Auto. It is probably only stocked in the regional super store. Check online if you need it now.

wayne pick

Yea, that's the one, got mine during that heat spell a few weeks ago for $89.00 so you got a good deal, mine is still on the floor of my cab. the fluid dampener is $400+, and a waste of money. the Dorman replacement 594-128 will do just fine and probly outlast the truck.[thumbzup]

Keith_J

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that being said will it work or not if that one isnt right whats the part number for one that will work
read post #3 again, and do it.

wayne pick

I never had any luck trying to cross reference any part numbers at Napa. My local Napa is staffed by enexperinced kids that are computer savvy but know little about parts. I orderd my Kats block heater there, the kid said,"a what" and found it after about ten min. Their system is vehicle specific, don't bother with part numbers unless it's theirs.

Keith_J

My same experience with all auto parts stores. I can search their inventory from my computer, print out a part number and take it to the store. They always double check the number I give them by entering the vehicle's stats. Then they write the part number on a note and go back to get it. aua

wayne pick

A good parts guy will ask you two questions, Is it auto? AC? that's it. I give that info right away. I don't know what happend to Napa, but it's not good. Auto Zone is even worse. On the other hand, the local Advance store, beleve it or not is capable of cross referencing part nos. the first time I walked in there, a young lady was behind the counter, I said to myself, "Oh here we go", she ended up being the character Mirisa Tomea played in the movie "My uncle Vinny". Her father, grandfather and brothers were all mechanics. She said her father had her helping him "rip out trannys" when she was a kid. I told her to go up the street and work for Napa. True story, no BS.

Wow,Thanks yall i not only got the info i was looking for i got a big chuckle out of all your comments .Doghead i did see that post that number is also in first post i didnt understand why you posted it thats all.As for Napa They have been the best for crossing Original GM part numbers.I use them to cross the number and then i use thier part number to price around though sometimes i have found that thier parts closely match the originals far better than some of the other parts chains.(i worked for advance auto parts for three years and 2 salvage yards i think im qualified im slow i will admit to it i dont always see the odivious im only human when i go into advance i know the system they use better than some of them :] ) Thanks everyone for the help :D

Part Number: BK 6005282
Product Line: Balkamp

Attributes diameter : 7 29/32"
Manufacturer : Dorman Automotive Manufacturing
Manufacturer Part Number : 594-128
Weight : 12.5 lbs
Width : 3 5/32"

Last edited:

K9Vic

I got mine from O'Reilly, it is a Precision Part product, made in Australia. $62.99 which is less than Rock Auto. It is probably only stocked in the regional super store. Check online if you need it now.

Those are the ones I always use and it is never in stock at my local store. Of the three times I have had to go to different stores to get it with one time needing to have it shipped as I did not want to drive across town. They are not a common stock item, but they are usually at one of the main hubs in Dallas/Fort Worth area that has about 4 hubs.

I would rather have one made in Australia over China, main reason we do drive Australian cars here and GM is Holden over there. So auto parts are for real vehicles, not cheap clones.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search "594-128"
What I meant was, put 594-128 into the text box on the SteelSoldiers search box. The results have 2 threads with that particular balancer listed for the CUCV.

So, If I had the same questions you had to begin with, and I searched SS for the number(you wondered if was correct), then you would have found the threads posted in my attachment, and not needed to post a thread at all.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks