• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

will this winch work on an m37?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrong winch for the M37, it looks like a Braden or Tulsa winch. You need a LU4 you may be able to make it work but with the right extension the LU4 is a easy add.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an MU-2 Braden winch, meant for the civvy trucks. The military one is the LU-4. The bolt holes do NOT line up, so your best bet is to just find the right type.

My M37 had a civvy winch partly bolted, and partly WELDED, onto the frame rails, when the previous owner decided to put a winch on of the wrong type. Looked okay, but I wouldn't want to stress it out since it was held on only by a few bolts and two bad welds.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious if anybody on here knows anything about this truck? will the winch fit on an m37? is the rest of it worth anything?
Man, that is one tough looking rig! I would be proud to park that in my yard! Maybe for restoration, maybe just as a piece of yard art!

I believe it's a w300, according to the 6 lug hub pattern.

Rick

simbalion

That looks bigger than a W300, but even it it is a W300 or larger that appears to be an early version of the civvy styled trucks. It is worth $500 just to get as a collector's item as none of those trucks were made in very high numbers! Good find even if the winch won't work on an M37! :drool:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that winch came on the early power wagons.. i had a 52 m37 that someone had installed that same winch on... to make it work you had to cut the front grille in the lower driver side.. the handle that engages the winch goes backwards into the grill.. i took that winch off sold it and put the correct one on.. it fit and looked way better:beer:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a friend that has the 1/2t WC w/w. Would that be the same winch as the M37? He offered to sell me just the winch but I told him he should keep it and restore it. If he decides not to I might pay him for the winch but hate to see the 2 part ways.