• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and Bumper Project

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to find me a truck or bring one over to join the convoy provided we make a night stop in Mile 422 Toad River Lodge. Spent 6 months there in 1981, high time to get some fresh coffee there. About two hours further on the road are the Liard hot springs, also a very relaxing stop, especially in mid winter.

rustystud

I was thinking of a trip like this recently. Specifically the AK highway. I don’t know if it’s reasonable to believe that I could pull it off or not. Who is “in” and who is thinking it over, and what are the dates and details? How long will you spend from the Canadian border to the end?

Just so so we are on the same page, I don’t have any intention of goin wheelin in the AK outback! Stuff breaks, I don’t need to expedite it’s death, and I don’t want to be forced into fixing things if I don’t have to!

Winches are for emergencies not for extracting your every day driver ... especially when you are thousands of miles from home. If I was Uber wealthy I’d just drive a peterbilt with a couple 931’s for wheelin fun ... no, I’d pay someone to drive that, I’d drive a new defender.

The truth is, as much as I know my truck, I have to be prepared to ride shotgun in a $2k-$3k tow job home if I embark on such a mission.

Nonetheless, I’m interested. I get one shot at life, my useful portion is at minimum 70% used up, I’d like to fill the last part with more beautiful and enjoyable experiences.
You'll get no argument from me ! I don't off-road much anymore, but when I do I only do it with "dedicated" off-road vehicles not my good vehicles. I also totally agree about winches. They are there for "emergencies" only. Unless again it is the "dedicated" off-road vehicle.

As far as dates and time goes. I need to finish my steering project. I would not be able to even start such a trip with manual steering now a days. So after I get the steering up and running, I'll set a date.

Last edited:

rustystud

I have to find me a truck or bring one over to join the convoy provided we make a night stop in Mile 422 Toad River Lodge. Spent 6 months there in 1981, high time to get some fresh coffee there. About two hours further on the road are the Liard hot springs, also a very relaxing stop, especially in mid winter.
Your more then welcome to join use !

tommys2patrick

I would love to go as well. Went in 92 and I imagine a lot has changed on the AlCan since then. My project skill level and speed is fairly low and slow. I doubt if I will be road worthy by next summer. Love to see pics If I can't go though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks