• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch broke

tm america

i wonder if making a external brace for the winch would keep it from breaking something made of 3/8 plate where the shaft sticks out then some c channel from front to back then another 3/8 plate on the front side . .it would have to be a tight fit .and pretty strong so it wouldnt flex but could help save some of these poor winches to. or maybe it would just make something else blow out on it?i 'm not saying to not use the right shear pin just that could help to

stumps

im wondering if it would make a difference which way you wind your winch cable on your drum? i wonder if anybody ever pushed a worm gear out of the housing? seemes like the pics ive been able to find are all backed out of the housing .
It definitely makes a difference which way you wind the drum. There are two kinds of cable, those that twist to the left, and those that twist to the right. You choose which you use based on whether the drum feeds from the top, or the bottom. The twist determines how nicely the cable lays.

Somewhere in the Technical manuals section is a TM on the winch. It explains the whole cable issue.

-Chuck

maybe the guys that have trouble with there winches dont have it wound right .ive winched out hundereds of logs, tractors, trucks, it easly skids the truck with the brakes locked , never had any trouble . i dont rev the crap out of the motor though. its a gasser but i dont stall it either.i think the heaviest thing i winched was a 70 ft house trailer that was behind frozen in 6x8 timbers it pulled hard enough to bend the shank on the house trailer ball.but never seemed to lug the motor .it skidded the front of the truck till it was lined up to the trees we were winching from then just came out of the holes.

KsM715

I went out this weekend to see if I could spool the winch cable up a little neater on my "new" truck. (really I just wanted to play with the winch since I havent been able to yet) I pulled off about 20', something told me not to pull it all off. Went to see if it all worked and when I let out the clutch I hear some "strange" noises coming out from under the truck and saw cable flintch and stop moving:?: Hmmmm, push clutch in check all my shifter settings and try it again, same thing. ****, Im cold, frustrated and dont want to play anymore so I wrap up the cable on the front bumper, (thank god I didnt pull it all off) and go inside. I read this thread yesterday and went out and checked to see what type of pin was in it. Guess what:!: No pin at all :oops: Now dont I feel like a dumb a**

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i wonder if making a external brace for the winch would keep it from breaking something made of 3/8 plate where the shaft sticks out then some c channel from front to back then another 3/8 plate on the front side . .it would have to be a tight fit .and pretty strong so it wouldnt flex but could help save some of these poor winches to. or maybe it would just make something else blow out on it?i 'm not saying to not use the right shear pin just that could help to
The other weak link is the bronze gear. With the whole case on both sides being AL, the winch is pretty fragile when pushed beond it's limits. You can also bust the case if you let too much cable pile up on one side.

Bottom line is, use whatever pin you like but don't be suprised when you winch splits open like a watermelon :-D.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im wondering if it would make a difference which way you wind your winch cable on your drum? i wonder if anybody ever pushed a worm gear out of the housing? seemes like the pics ive been able to find are all backed out of the housing .
The forces applied when winching cause the worm gear to try and back out of the housing. It is true that if you wound the cable the other way the force would try and push it out the front. The other problem with winding the cable the other way would be that the brake would be trying to hold the winch as you are winching. You would also have to figure a way to keep the cable out of the bumper when running the cable out the bottom.

Unless you are talking about running it the other way (as in left to right). Changing that will make no difference.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well mine definately spools out the bottom and my pto is on the transfer case is this the same on on yours?my bumper is turned over compared to most
I see a M135 in your avatar. If that's the truck you're talking about I have no idea how they are set up. I do know if you run a M35A2 cable off the bottom of the drum you'll be working against the brake when winching.

tm america

i am really curious about the way that winch is running on the m135 as my minch is off a m135. i have it on my m35a2c. maybe thats way i was breaking pins so easy cuz it is pulling against the brake

the brake works fine on it there are a few pics of it on my profile in albums . could it be turning different because the pto is on the transfer case?and for the life of me i cant remember if it turns clockwise or not might be starting it up in a couple of weeks find out then.

Last edited:

Jake0147

TM, easy check for this, I just dug through a bunch of versions of TMs on setting the band brake correctly. On an M35 the adjusting bolt for the brake band should be on the left (driver's side, right as you're facing it) of the worm with the bolt in a vertical orientation, with it's head facing down, or the entire worm brake assembly may be in any clock position reflecting that orientation of the bolt.

Backwards would be with the bolt vertical, driver's side of the worm, with the bolt head facing up, or the whole assembly in any clock position reflecting this orientation.

I do not know if this is the same on any other application of this winch.

TaylorTradingCo

I don't know how much winch parts cost or who has them, but I picked up a few Deuce winches that were missing the cables. I would let go of them pretty reasonably if anyone needs one for spare parts. PM me if interested.
Derek Taylor