• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Cable Repair - Need to remove ~ 14 Ft

opie65

Can't find in the TMs, (Just need to find the right one). I need to whack about 14 feet of bad cable off the end, and re-attach the Hook.

Instructions? TM # ?

Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ment for one use according to the TM., BUT bet the wedge star has been REUSED many times when needed in the field. a TIP, no matter if you use new or used, USE ANTI-SEIZE on the socket threads, this will help getting it apart if needed again and help to save the socket threads

turnerman

Yeah it is a pain but i sucessfully replaced my cable after it broke a couple of feet off. If memory hold Just hold it with pipe wrenches and unscrew the end off. Then torch the cable off even with the end of the piece with the twist of brass in it. After that I took a punch to knock out the cable and wedge. Then take the new end, that was torched with a hose clamp to hold the wire together, and insert it in the hole of the end and unwrap carefully and insert the bass twist. You might want to tap it carefully in place and pull it tight when you thread the other end back on. Be carefull the first time you use it.

Heavysteven

Any one ever replaced the entire cable? I am curious about that opition.

1. Cost
2. Availiblity (Certex?)
3. Effort/labor

Off the subject but a former Vetinam Vet (Mike Wallace) said he snapped one off and it came back through the windshield.

stumps

Cables stretch when they are used to pull heavy loads. When something breaks, the cable releases its tension like a big strong rubber band, and it will come flying in the direction of the attached ends. Chains don't do that. They stretch, but they just drop when the tension releases. Chains are the thing to use if you are going to abuse.

That is why you never want anyone within striking distance of the cable when you are winching a heavy load. The driver needs to be ready to duck below the dash... it happens very quickly, he might not have time.

Hook failures are pretty common. They should always be affixed to the load with their open end pointing up. That forces the hook to fly down if it bends open. It also encourages the cable to snap down into the dirt, rather than flying back at the truck and the load.

Cable breaks that pass through a snatch hook will always fly to the outside of the bend. You never want people to be there under any circumstance... and yet that is where spectators seem to always stand.

-Chuck

turnerman

Well i have broke mine twice and when it gets a little shorter i will replace with a mor flexable all metal cable with no plastic strands in the center

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original cable for the deuce winch is a very high grade of cable that far exceeds standard cable. If you choose to replace it, be sure to get the correct cable or you will greatly reduce your capacity and safety.

This has been covered in depth, before. Try searching for Improved Plow steel.(here and google)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks