• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable socket pin dimension?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the clevis/shackle world, the pin diameter appears to be a measure of its capacity, so accordingly, I'm trying to determine the actual rating of the cable socket/chain/hook assy on both the deuce and the 5-ton winches.

The chain/hook on the 5-ton winch is only rated 12,000 lb or so and the pin in the cable socket has a diameter of 1.0 inch giving it a rating of about 13,000 lb.

Conclusion: The 20,000 lb winch should never be used to safely pull anything over 12,000 (plus or minus). To increase the rating, the cable socket must be replaced along with the chain and hook. Anybody see anything wrong with that?

The deuce uses the same chain/hook assy, so it's rating is matched with the winch.

Question: What is the deuce winch cable socket pin dia?

Thanks.

Attachments

avengeusa

The pin in the socket is 7/8 inches in diameter for the deuce, the whole thing is rated for 26,000 lbs

I have the specs on all of the different sizes, and have sockets on the way to me nib cheap

The 5 ton socket with a 1 inch pin is rated at 41,200 lbs

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pin in the socket is 7/8 inches in diameter for the deuce, the whole thing is rated for 26,000 lbs

I have the specs on all of the different sizes, and have sockets on the way to me nib cheap

The 5 ton socket with a 1 inch pin is rated at 41,200 lbs
Are you not talking "breaking strength" here, the clevises, hooks etc are marked with a "safe working load" (SWL) as should be the winches.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay and thanks for the deuce pin info.
A shackle with a 7/8 pin dia (Crosby Group) has a working load limit of 13,000 lb, for example, which matches the deuce winch.

Some tables show a higher rating, some a lower, so it's very much a matter of which safety multiplier used.
The "Rigging" TM 5-725 has safety factor for chains, which is 1/6 of the breaking strength.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

i've been in consruction for over 40 yrs. and done my share of getting stuck and pulling stuff out. i've constantly used shackles with a 1 in. pin and 5/8 cable and others . i've pulled many loaded tractor trailers 120,000 lds out of the mud and sand with 5/8 cables ,5/8 and 3/4 in shackles and never had one fail on me. maybe just lucky

jasonjc

Look at the working load on the cable it's less than 10,000lbs. for the deuce.

The sockets are rated EIPS breaking strength not working load.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its easy to get bogged down with all those ratings. Where they are more important, is in "overhead" crane type work. When your bogged on the ground, and your rigging looks a little light, its easy to compensate, by making a double wrap, or using a snatch block, and "heaven forbid", even a shovel!

Lee in Alaska