• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable tensioner

hvann

Just learned an expensive lesson on winding up a new winch cable using the cable tensioner.

I wanted the cable to lay just right so I used max tension on the tensioner while winding up 200 foot of new cable. I had a friend in the truck and I was down at the winch making sure all went well. Somewhere around the 150 foot mark I noticed what appeared to be a little cable damage. I knew it didn't just happen, because I had laid the full length of the cable down the road so I would not have any problems with the spooling. We pulled another 10 feet on and I notice another loose spot in the cable lays. I inspected the last 40 feet or so and found severe bird caging in the cable.

The tensioner was forcing the outer lays past the core and the eye in the end of the cable was not letting it run off.

I'm not sure what the appropriate tension setting should be so I think I will just hook to a tree next time and let the winch pull the truck along to keep some tension on the cable.

Van

jwaller

you dont need much tension at all. only enough to keep the drum from turning. I can't imagine even being able to move my lever to max tension.

expensive lesson learned.

hvann

you dont need much tension at all. only enough to keep the drum from turning. I can't imagine even being able to move my lever to max tension.

expensive lesson learned.
I'm not sure what you mean by just enough to keep the drum from turning. Do you mean just enough so you couldn't pull the cable off the drum by hand?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that hurt .. i knew i had a new cable go south one time...im sorry but thanks for telling us so some others can read an learn

jwaller

the tensioner is only there to keep a small amount of tension on the line when your not pulling a load (ie not let the line unwrap off the drum even when the drum is locked).

It has no other function.
To try and simulate a large load by crushing the cable between the rollers of the tensioner your only serving to crush the cable.

next time you want to wrap your cable nice and pretty just hook to a load and pull it up hill or something. or let the winch pull the truck pull some small incline.

hvann

the tensioner is only there to keep a small amount of tension on the line when your not pulling a load (ie not let the line unwrap off the drum even when the drum is locked).

It has no other function.
To try and simulate a large load by crushing the cable between the rollers of the tensioner your only serving to crush the cable.

next time you want to wrap your cable nice and pretty just hook to a load and pull it up hill or something. or let the winch pull the truck pull some small incline.

Got it.
I have 200 foot of new cable that I will take your advise on. The bright side of this brain fart is I have 140 foot of cable to make slings out of for my 543. :-D

Hammer

When putting on winch line the first time, I hook the cable up to a telephone pole that is slightly up hill from my truck, then I barely put the parking brake on (this helps to keep the truck from yo-yo'ing on you).
Also, make sure that the end of the cable can spin around. They will rotate a bit on the first time or two of spooling it on.

jwaller is spot on, the tensioner should be just tight enough to keep the cable from bird-nesting on you.

grizcty

When putting on winch line the first time, I hook the cable up to a telephone pole that is slightly up hill from my truck, then I barely put the parking brake on (this helps to keep the truck from yo-yo'ing on you).
Also, make sure that the end of the cable can spin around. They will rotate a bit on the first time or two of spooling it on.

jwaller is spot on, the tensioner should be just tight enough to keep the cable from bird-nesting on you.

I used to do this all the time, with my wreckers & rollbacks. (telephone pole trick)
Until, I noticed that the pole started to loosen up.:oops:

:!:Now, I just winch one of the one ton trucks up, a slight 200+ ' grade.:!:

Remember, SAFETY ALWAYS COMES FIRST!!!

To those who plan on using their winches.

Always wear, heavy leather gloves.
Practice & learn how to properly/safely use it.
NEVER get your hands/clothing, with in 3' of your winch drum!
Also LUBE your winch lines.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it.
STOP, and call a expert!

bigelk50

Good lessons and Ideas to share guys. I have the levelwind, but am looking for a tensioner. Just to have one. Anyone know where to get one?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I meant, yes, they work together. The tensioner centers the cable and allows the level winder to work correctly.

btw, Myself, and a couple others I know are in need of good complete tensioner units. PM if you have one you don't need, please.

jatonka

D8 Dave is the man. The level wind will not work correctly without the tensioner, if you have a level wind, grab a tensioner as fast as you can. John T