• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many feet of cable are sopposed to be on the M35's winch? Mine looks like it could take a lot more. Anybody know a good place to get new winch cable?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
200' feet is the number that comes to mind.
Ashley sling(in atlanta) quoted me 1/2" 6x19 at $1/ft for imported $1.78 for domestic

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
200'

Towman2277

If you have a "self-winder" model, i'd maybe think so, but if its like mine and just spools as it goes, anything over 200' will probably start "bundling" on top of previous winds and damage the cable (ie. most of the cable on one side). I use mine alot, at least every other day, and you have to watch it close to keep from that happening. If you get one of these cable bound all up on the drum, and you need it to pull yourself out of a hole, then your in trouble. You can't pull that cable out when caught up by hand!! I carry two "extra" strands of 1/2" x 50' cables in my tool box for those loooong pulls!!

rmgill

If you're looking to get new cable, think about some synthetic winch rope. Amsteel Blue makes some excellent cable but it's not cheap. However, given that it will float, doesn't store nearly as much energy and can be easily handled and rigged through blocks, it beats the stuffing out of the wire rope (and it has a higher breaking strength).

rizzo

Towman2277 said:
I carry two "extra" strands of 1/2" x 50' cables in my tool box for those loooong pulls!!
good idea, I have 200+ feet of 3/4 and 1 inch cable for "extensions". 400+ feet is a fair amount

not in the tool box though. on a pallet at home. Seemed like a good idea when I bought it but the 1 inch weighs @ 423 pounds. I will figure out something