• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that the winches came with fiber core but I think that was more for the ability to be used in every situation( level wind, pensioners and just winch). Also the technology back then verses now is like comparing apples to space shuttles.
My intention is to get the most usable, cost effective and most reliable for my money while keeping safety at the top of the list.
Recovery made a good point for the fiber core as a way to keep more lubricant on/in the cable.

Recovery- I am going to call the Quality Industrial & Marine Rigging place today and will post results later.
Engineer233- I’d like to know more about the cable you described. Please keep us informed.
Thank everyone for the information and all will be considered.

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss- Great read for anyone using a winch.

Found the wire rope needed:

225' 5/8" 6 x 26 EIP IWRC RRL Wire Rope assemble with a galvanized thimble and steel sleeve one end $320.00 plus the ride. Not too bad.

from
Discount Wire and Sling
4836 NE 11th Ave
Fort Lauderdale, Fl. 33334
Phone: 954-772-7173
Fax: 954-772-7339

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss- Great read for anyone using a winch.

Found the wire rope needed:

225' 5/8" 6 x 26 EIP IWRC RRL Wire Rope assemble with a galvanized thimble and steel sleeve one end $320.00 plus the ride. Not too bad.

from
Discount Wire and Sling
4836 NE 11th Ave
Fort Lauderdale, Fl. 33334
Phone: 954-772-7173
Fax: 954-772-7339
Peacemkr Thank you for the follow-up, I am calling next! What was the cost of the ride?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like that could be a Wire Rope Industries Performance Series 620

5/8 6x26 RRL EIPS IWRC .72 lbs per foot weight with a 20.6 Tons Nominal Breaking Load
EIPS: Enhanced Plow Steel
IWRC Wire Rope Core

Sweet :beer:

Last edited:

engineer233

I have a call into my local rep about the swedge cable. They will have more answers for me tomorrow , but what they did say was it is a 3/4 cable swedged down to 5/8 and the cable was guaranteed. I will have more details on it later. Mainly used on dozers and log skidders because of its durability.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think you are on the right track with the steel core cable.

Fiber core cable is fine on cranes, which is what it is designed for, and also on a wrecker winch which has the level winder.

On a winch that is designed and used for self recovery without a level winder to keep it all pretty, lined up, and nice, steel core cable is the most durable. It will take a lot more of a beating and not break. That is what we use on the back of dozers and skidders for logging. Those winches just get the cable wound on any old which way all snarly and the cable is expected to take it.

Don't mess around with fiber core cable if you are really planning to use your winch.
You will almost NEVER find a fiber core on a crane, the fiber core is used where MORE flexibility is needed, like going around small snatch block sheaves

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will almost NEVER find a fiber core on a crane, the fiber core is used where MORE flexibility is needed, like going around small snatch block sheaves
Well what ~is it good for then? Only place I have seen it used is on cranes and winches with level winders.

Ex-brother-in-law was a big crane operator and rigger. He was the one who explained to me all about fiber core line. Repeatedly and on a regular basis. And got me lots of it for free.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not sure what crane your brother in law ran but I have been running cranes from about 1961, ALL used steel core, one reason is the steel core is stronger for the size then fiber , another reason is the fiber core WILL suck MOISTURE if it (fiber core) is not kept WELL lubed, this causes INSIDE UNSEEN corrosion and in turn a VERY dangerous cable, another reason is that a fiber core WILL SHRINK in diameter under load more then steel core (steel core pretty much holds its size unless extremely over loaded), this causes cable crushing because the sheaves (boom tip, block) supporting the cable is sized to the cable, a thinner cable WILL flatten (crush), losing strength, integrity, rapid ware and becomes VERY dangerous.

Fiber is used for FLEXIBILITY ONLY, running over SMALL sheaves, ect, nothing to do with level wind or not, in the oil field, the winch trucks use steel core, it may go over small snatch block sheaves but the thought is that a shorter life span of the cable due to the small sheaves is worth it to GAIN the STRENGTH of steel core and get away from the corrosion factor, there is not much of a support situation when winching.

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a place, local to us, for wire rope and rigging supplies. It's Certified Slings & Rigging and they are located off Beeline/MLK blvd in Riviera Beach. They have everything and can make and attach chain ends with hooks. Really nice people and very helpful. They will even spool it onto the winch. They have other Florida locations fior anyone else looking for cable.

Last edited:

flibob

Just about every descent sized city has an OSHA approved sling and cable shop. A cable snapping and coming at you at a zillion miles an hour is not the way I want leave the forum.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the cable spec that I should look for to replace the cable on my
M108 Austin Weston crane mounted on an XM211 truck? I know it is 1/2 inch
cable, but would like to get a more specific spec to look for. I am on the
Left coast so shipping is out of the question. I just want to be armed with the
best info so I don't get taken by some sharp salesman. I am assuming that
I at least need the steel core type.

Thanks for any tips,
Bruce

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Firefox- You may want to start your own thread about the wrecker cable. I don't know if alot of people are following this one. And you may get more responce from the people that would know.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What is the cable spec that I should look for to replace the cable on my
M108 Austin Weston crane mounted on an XM211 truck? I know it is 1/2 inch
cable, but would like to get a more specific spec to look for. I am on the
Left coast so shipping is out of the question. I just want to be armed with the
best info so I don't get taken by some sharp salesman. I am assuming that
I at least need the steel core type.

Thanks for any tips,
Bruce
The OE is 1/2" 9x16 IPS, fiber core, not sure on the length, think 95', I would get longer, better to long and cut to fit, then to short.

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to know. Do you think I should switch to the steel core, or stay with the fiber core. For periods of time this will get heavy use but light loads.

Yes I probably should have started another thread, but the responses to this thread were
so close to what I needed, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Thanks guys,
Bruce

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you can keep the fiber core well lubed either cable will work, the 108 can not break either cable, if lubing is a problem then steel core

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is some more thoughts on the winch cables from my research

Pricing per foot
~$1.30 for Chinese Manufacture
~1.70 for Korean Manufacture
~3.00 for Domestic Manufacture

6x19 is more stiff cable
6x36 is more flexible and will not retain memory and twist as easy

Call local rigging companies to outsource as shipping will kill you. Weight is .74 lbs per foot