• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch control arm on bumper stuck

hnybdgr92

I was in a wreck last November and my winch was operating prior to wreck. Guy pulled out on red light and I hit him only going 29MPH. Now I cant pull my cable out of the drum and the lever is also stuck. Line wont go in or out. PTO shaft is spinning so its not a PTO/PTO driveshaft issue. Not sure how to proceed. Maybe open up the plugs and flush it?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your drum lock disengages?
The winch clutch lever is stuck? Do not use a hammer and wail on it.
Check the shear pin. It could be broken and you can't relieve tension on the winch because of that. It may not need much turning...quarter or half a turn and all is good. You "can" TAP the clutch lever with a rubber mallet to persuade it for the initial move, but really avoid any excessive force. The dog clutch really does not like it.

hnybdgr92

Shear pin is intact. The drum lock is disengaged when I try to operate the thing. My biggest issue is that the lever is in the our position, but I cant pull line out or anything.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drum lock itself is intact? Can you see the locking pin coming out when you pull the handle? I am thinking, drum getting a good whack, locking pin might break off but stay stuck, preventing the drum from turning.

With the winch clutch disengaged and the drum lock disengaged, the drum should turn by hand...

Have you tried engaging the winch clutch and turning the driveshaft by hand, maybe with a screwdriver through the U joint for leverage? Can you manually unspool a bit of cable?

Is the cable itself pinched on itself? I have seen windings pulled so tight that you could not manualy unspool. It required disengaging the winch, attaching the cable hook to a tree and pulling the wire rope free from the freewheeling drum by backing up the truck.

hnybdgr92

Unfortunately the clutch on the winch wont engage. The handle wont budge. I had to resort to unbolting the entire drum off the front of the truck. Trying to figure out how to get inside the thing. I took the plate cover off the front of the driveshaft side if the drum, and the flywheel turns along with the driveshaft. Cant understand why the clutch won't budge though...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks