• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch drum not turning?

rustystud

Appreciate the inputs guys.

I shot a quick video this morning of the moving bits. Hopefully this helps diagnose. Having never owned/used a PTO winch before this is new to me. I am really hoping to avoid opening it up.

FYI - both sides are liberally lubricated with 00 grease.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131867003@N07/shares/2yyBSd
After viewing your video I'm afraid your winch will need to be tore down. Sounds like broken parts in there. Sorry Seth :(

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard to believe something is actually broken, since this winch was rebuilt and obviously has not seen any use after that...

I say drain the pass.side oil, remove the winch as a whole; put it on its side (drive housing down) and pull the clutch side end housing. That will sure end all mystery...

I added a picture below, posted by another member (had it saved to my folder and can't remember who's it was...)

A key cannot "just come out" . They are retained by the gear. So I believe you have other issues. Sorry "plowboy"
In this case it can...
During assembly- and not after- that small woodruff key could have (inadvertently) slipped out of its keyway. Then, even a well-tightened set screw alone would not prevent the shaft from rotating inside the fork. So this may explain why Plowboy's winch doesn't work. And who knows, Seth's...??

Assembling that shift mechanism inside the tight housing can be kind of tricky. Sometimes it takes more than a "little pushing" to get the shift shaft in place, into the shift fork.
Doing a "trial" assembly outside of the housing will at least help to make sure all goes in, right and smooth (without excessive persuasion...)

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Seth_O

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. I'll pull the winch and crack it open, the upside is I'll be more familiar with the inner workings ;-). I poked around, but couldn't find the TM for a winch rebuild - does anybody know offhand which one it is?

G - tks for that additional pic! That one helps quite a bit.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Seth, look for threads started by Jcknife, he has a good thread on rebuilding a winch and I think it lists the TMs.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For everyone having/wanting to do work on his 10.000lb-Garwood winch: check out this old TM9-1819AC 5-of-6, Chapter 18. It's 20 pages of good text and excellent illustrations; much better then any of the newer books...

This winch is the same for the G749 series (early Deuces) as for the later M44 series 2-1/2 ton trucks.

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you have the winch laying in the floor, it's not very hard to disassemble. Getting it off the truck is the hard part.

Seth_O

Seth, what happen with the winch ???
Unfortunately nothing yet. Shortly after starting this I was temporarily relocated for work. I get back in another month or so, and this will be one of the first projects I tackle when I get there.

MAZ537

I know very well what means relocated for work (1100 miles to be exact!).
Lets hope it is just incorrectly assembled w/o any parts damage...

Seth_O

Made it back into town late last week finally. Trip was great, but happy to be home. I pulled the winch today and opened it up - I think I am missing some components. This is the first time I've gotten into a deuce winch, so not at all familiar with it. I've read the TM through a couple of times, but the drawings weren't super detailed or helpful.

Taking a look at the below I believe I am missing one of the dog clutch ends as well as the shaft keys on the main winch shaft. Does it appear anything else is missing?

20151017_130822.jpg20151017_163600.jpg20151017_164613.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Taking a look at the below I believe I am missing one of the dog clutch ends as well as the shaft keys on the main winch shaft. Does it appear anything else is missing?
In your pics I'm missing the parts marked with red numbers.
Not 100% sure about #31; maybe hiding under all that grease there...?

G.

Attachments

MAZ537

Seth,

Clean all the grease and take some more photos...
Help from Gringeltaube is the best you can get :mrgreen:

Seth_O

I was digging through my garage this evening and found a small cache of parts the previous owner of the winch included in the sale. Since the winch was rebuilt I assumed they were extra components, or parts that were replaced in the rebuild. It was a foolish assumption on my part.

The good news is, I think this is everything I am missing. However, I have a few questions since I didn't do the disassembly:

1. the shaft keys are tapered on the ends, do the tapered ends go inside the shaft groove, or facing away from the shaft?
  2. I cant tell from the TM the order of operations and parts for reassembly? The TM states to
    1. put on drum thrust ring
    2. put in sliding clutch keys
    3. put on drum sliding clutch and end frame thrust bearing

The problem is that from the drawing I cant tell which part is the drum thrust ring, and which is the end frame thrust bearing?

Appreciate any help you can give.

20151019_205749.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
  1. I cant tell from the TM the order of operations and parts for reassembly? The TM states to
    1. put on drum thrust ring
    2. put in sliding clutch keys
    3. put on drum sliding clutch and end frame thrust bearing
The problem is that from the drawing I cant tell which part is the drum thrust ring, and which is the end frame thrust bearing?
see fiqures in here and the rebuild procedure there seems straightforward using the document.
Is what you want in there? It is downloadable at post 26 and here?
View attachment DS_TM 9-1819AC Part5 of 6 winch .pdf

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tapered side of key goes inside the keyway.
Second from left is your drum thrust ring; 3rd from left is the end frame thrust bearing. (Large surface riding against the end frame itself).

G.

Seth_O

I was able to get the winch back together this evening. Interestingly enough it was more challenging than I expected. I attempted to stand the winch on its end, and lift the passenger end onto it. That didn't work. I ended up having to lay the winch down and scoot the passenger side onto the rest of the body. Once I went that route it went right back together.

I tested it out and found that I can engage/disengage the dog clutch no problem. I can spin the input shaft by hand, and it rotates the drum as expected. However, once engaged I have as much as ~1/8 of a drum rotation of free play. Is that normal?