• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch help and grille-guard pics needed

texas-5-ton

Just recently, we finished our M813 brush firefighting vehicle and most of you probably saw the pics. I must say that it turned out very nice. However, the truck did not have a winch at the time of completion. Today, Texas Forest Service gave us a winch and all of the PTO as well as the bumper extensions and so on. One thing that worries me about this winch is that it is "in gear" and we can't get the handle on the side of the drum to move. I will need some advise on the operation of this before I get neck deep into this project so any tips will be helpful.

Secondly, we are wanting to build a brush guard bumper on this thing to protect the front of the truck. The forst service sent one home with my fireman but this thing IMHO looks like crap !! It looks more like a hillbilly battering ram than a brush guard. IT was too dark for pics but I will post one later. If any of you guys can post any pics of a 5 ton with a brush guard, I would greatly appeciate it. I am wanting something that will look nice but more importantly, will protect the radiator and front of the truck.

THE MORE PICS, THE BETTER !!!

Thanks guys,

Chad

Attachments

CloverFireCo

I have seen what they do with guards up there in cape cod. Those guys take a truck and build a tank. Looks like they could push most anything over.

Side note: Our 5 ton project is progressing, am installing the radio and siren controls now. And it is slowly getting it rustoleum paint job. Nothing fancy that we will feel bad when it gets scratched up. Still need to decide on a solution for the 12 volt power source for the 12 volt equipment. I am leaning towards a 24 to 12 volt convertor and putting two 12 volt batteries back in the box. I think that should handle the huge drain when you key the mic on the radio. At least I'm hoping it will.

No.2Diesel

PWM your read my mind. Below is a another truck made by the same shop. I have toured their facility and they do a quality job. Texas 5ton: do all of your trucks have shower heads on top to protect the truck too?

Attachments

No.2Diesel

The center bar is hinged with a quick remove pin. These trucks are built mostly for the pine barrens but will take down bigger stuff too and work well.

texas-5-ton

CloverFireCo said:
Chad,

Try here, they have a huge amount of information on this site, with great detailed directions and drawings.

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com

Chris
Thanks Chris. I found one on this roscommon website exactly like i had in mind. Looks like they have updated the site from several months ago when i last visited. Man, i owe you one !! Thanks to everyone for the help. We had talked in the beginning about doing one of those "Codbusters :lol: with pipes over the top but thought that might be overkill for our needs.

Chad

Station 76

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks