• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Help

Artisan

I own an M925A1.

I want to fully understand and service and use the winch.

I can not find instructions for my winch.

I could probably clear up all my q's in 4 minutes on the phone w/ a well versed guy if someone were available.

I closed the TM in disgust. I want to know what each and every 3/4' plug is for and exactly how to
operate the "Clutch" as the handle says on it and how to check oil levels. Sounds
silly till you look at it and see 4 plugs on one side and 2 on the other!

I understand PTO Engage and Disengage handle in the cab.

I understand Winch IN and Winch OUT handle in the cab.

I understand the DRUM LOCK and where it is engaged and where it is disengaged.
I do not understand what the 3/4" plug under the Drum Lock is for that seems to be
in a place no wrench can go.

I do not understand the "CLUTCH" lever. IN or OUT and the Hinge Lock attached to it.
I assume OUT means the spool will freewheel, I only assume.

On the drivers side top there is a 3/4" plug, on the drivers side bottom front there are
two 3/4" plugs, what are they all for? Sure I can assume the lowest is a drain...
(that makes for FOUR 3/4" plugs all on the DS of the winch)

On the passengers side there is a 3/4" plug very bottom, sure I can assume the lowest is a drain
which means this winch has 2 fills and 2 drains, right?
On the passenger side top there is a 3/4" plug, an oil fill, yes?

If indeed there are two oil fills, "exactly" how much 80-90 goes in each side?

Is there a TM (or) related specifically to my winch w/o the bloat that talks about umpeen other similar winches?

HERE is a pic of my winch.

GHall

All I can help with is.. Unlock the drum lock, put the truck in drive, engage the handle in the truck, put the transmission in neutral, flip the clutch lock flap over, unspool the winch just a touch while someone else engages or disengages the winch clutch lever depending on what you wanna do. All while the parking brake is on.

GHall

Oh ya, don't exceed 1,800 RPM while winching and every 100ft let the system rest for 15-30 min..

Last edited:

Artisan

Thanx so much for the input GHall.

I think I read the 100' wait deal in the TM, I think it said 6 minutes but ambiant temps will
make a difference I am sure as well. It is things like that that are EXACTLY what
I seek, thanks again!

Any more winch EXPERTs on board who can address all my q's? Don't want to type?
No problem, just PM my your number and I will call!!!

KsM715

The in/out handle is for the dogclutch inside the winch housing. In= the clutch engaged, you can now spool the drum in or out using the controls inside the cab. Out= free spool the drum. Do not, I repeat, do not try to use that handle when the winch is engaged. You can not safely engage the controls inside the cab and then try to use that handle to run the winch from outside the truck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the in/out handle is for the dogclutch inside the winch housing. In= the clutch engaged, you can now spool the drum in or out using the controls inside the cab. Out= free spool the drum. Do not, i repeat, do not try to use that handle when the winch is engaged. You can not safely engage the controls inside the cab and then try to use that handle to run the winch from outside the truck
and you can not disengage under load

Artisan

OK so the "Clutch" is, for lack of a better term, NEUTRAL, and the
drum will not turn under PTO power IN or OUT, correct?

Am I correct this is to simply freespool the drum for any reason
a guy sees fit? THE CLUTCH DISENGAGES THE WINCH FROM THE
HYDRAULIC PUMP so the drum will turn free, yes?

So in reality a guy could never touch the CLUTCH if he is willing to
wait for the PTO pump to work, in or out, yes?

So "if" a guy wanted to, he could OUT the clutch and pull
the cable out as far as he wanted then IN the clutch before using
the in-cab controls, and that is all the "CLUTCH" does yes?

I wish I had a good manual for just this winch!

I love this list...I can't wait till I have all the awnsers to help others... all
in good time I am sure...

Other input's please?

KsM715

Correct, Pull the "clutch handle" to "out" then you can pull out as much cable as you need (by hand) then put the the handle to the "in"position and run the PTO to pull the winch line back in. You should leave that handle "out" and the drum lock pin "in" whenever you are running down the road. That way if the PTO controls get bumped and the PTO engages it will not pull the line in and ruin your day.

flibob

Do you remember the birds nest you got with a casting rod when you were a kid? Try it with 1/2 inch steel cable that has been on a winch for years. Have soldier b with you the first time you use it.

Barfkiller

Let me start off by saying "I am no expert". I operated the winch on my M932 a handful of times in the Army. I have just recently operated the winch on my M925 a few days ago.

925tow 002.jpg925tow 003.jpg925tow 004.jpg925tow 005.jpg925tow 006.jpg925tow 001.jpg

Here are a few things I know: Clutch lever towards the passenger side is free spool as soon as the drum lock is released. That cable is like a giant spring, it will start unwinding around the drum getting real loose and REAL ugly if you dont have someone there WITH GLOVES to control the cable and drum.
Pushing (on my truck hernia level pushing) the lever towards the drivers side enables the PTO to turn the drum. At this point NO MORE HANDS AROUND THE DRUM AND CABLE. You may need to engage the wind or unwind lever in the cab to be able to move clutch lever. I have had turn the drum almost a full revolution by hand before the clutch lever would move, and other times it is almost effortless.

When winching at an angle as in the fourth picture above, the cable must be watched and not allowed to spool on one side of the drum to the point that it binds up on the brace behind the drum. Get it bound up too tight and unwinding the cable will do nothing but loosen the wraps on the drum and make a bigger mess. (I have not done that but I was there when a young soldier did!) The cable will need to be pulled out and respooled evenly.

Having loose wraps on the drum and then putting a heavy load on the cable will pull it down between the loose wraps and cause problems. Worst case is it bends the cable, causes flat spots, or binds up below the loose wraps and breaks strands giving the inexperienced wire rope handler a NASTY and BLOODY surprise. Always wear quality leather gloves.

Hope this helps.

Artisan

Thanx for the input and pics are always great!

So can anyone address the fill and drain plugs? All of'them?

DS=Drivers Side
PS = Passenger Side

There is a painted over plate on the top cross bar as well.

WINCH-PS1.jpg WINCH-PS2.jpg

I assume PS-1=OIL FILL PS (but how much oil?)
I assume PS-2=OIL DRAIN PS

WINCH-DS1-2.jpg WINCH-DS3-4.jpg

UNKNOWN DS-1 = ???
I assume DS-2= OIL FILL DS
UNKNOWN DS-3 = ???
I assume DS-4=OIL DRAIN DS

So there are the 6 3/4" plugs on this winch.
Can anyone posatively ID them all and there usage please?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The holes on the top, are for filling

The holes in the "middle" are the levels

The holes on the bottom, are the drains

Lube info is in the -12(lube order). LO 9-2320-272-12

Last edited:

Artisan

OK Page 26 of the LO shows some stuff but please,
where do I learn how to decipher the terminology, like;

BY BH BL BK BJ BM

?

Artisan

The above refers to what trucks that the instructins or parts apply to., there is some where in the TMs that tell you what truck each code (BY ect) represents

...and I wish I could find that legend that deciphers all that so
I can figure it out...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks