• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch help

3000gt

I have the 6000lb winch on my m1038 and the winch will sometimes work both ways. it always pulls but rarely lets cable out. I have checked the wires from controller and they are OK. any ideas?

Last edited:

TedG

Check free spool lever or passenger side. If ekectrical, it may be the print card embedded in the housing. Good luck.

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a mile marker or warn? I have a hydraulic mile marker, so if you want me to video operation or take pictures let me know. Also Which control handle do you have? Mile markers really need the yellow oem controller, not the black one on eBay.

3000gt

Do you have a mile marker or warn? I have a hydraulic mile marker, so if you want me to video operation or take pictures let me know. Also Which control handle do you have? Mile markers really need the yellow oem controller, not the black one on eBay.
Warn

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a 6 k relay box opened....circuit card imbeded in the middle.
It goes bad and winch wont work.
Warn told me take it out of the loop.....so I did , and winch works.
Sometimes a solenoid fails.
Wires circled in red....unplug it, cut plug off, attach a lug to lite green wire.
Wire circled in yellow...disconnect it from contact [green wire], you don't need it.
Lite green wire with new lug you attached....install on solenoid stud.
Now card is out of circuit....no need for it.
This photo is of a non-modified unit....
DSC_000191.jpg

Last edited:

3000gt

Wires circled in red....unplug it, cut plug off, attach a lug to lite green wire.
Wire circled in yellow...disconnect it from contact [green wire], you don't need it.
View attachment 650853
Wow Thanks!!!! did this happen to you?

3000gt

Would ya'll recommend switching to the hydraulic Mile Marker winch? I've read some good reviews on them but not muck out there on my old winch. thanks

TedG

If you use a winch a lot, then mm is good. If you just use it occasionally, then electric 6k is ok. Just remember mm needs engine running to work.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the MM for a host of reasons, one being no loss of approach angle, the 2nd and most important is duty cycle.
MM winches have no duty cycle, as long as the engine is running, you can pull all day long.
all the current trucks I see on base have Milemarkers....can't say I've ever seen a warn on a truck come throungh shop at the base.

3000gt

I ride at a lake bottom and i am always needed to help some one out and the 6k isn't cutting it. Wish i could find a good price on a MM. I ordered a 18k warn but i think it may be a little big so i dont know what to do with it lol

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen plenty of takeout MM's for sale on g503, Epay. I just bought an NOS unit on my local Craigslist complete for $850.00! That was a score...guy bought it for his jeep only to realize it was 24v, it's now happily nesting on the front of a 2 Door pickup.

Loganwood

View attachment 650853

So if this is done, what do you do with the wires that this plug plugged into that come out of the winch motor? Just cut the plug off? I bought a new solenoid pack for mine and am wondering if you can just delete those wires out of the winch motor. The new pack doesn't seem to require that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks