• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch: hydraulic motor maintenance / repair

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello forum.
My hydraulic winch motor leaks. Oil drops from time to time from the safety relief valve, also when winch is not operative. Did someone had the same problem? Or did someone open the winch motor and did some mantainance on it?

Thanks for any help!

Christian

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That valve being faulty is the only reason I can think of for it leaking, especially when not in use.
The valve on top of the winch? Thatbyou can pull out with 2 fingers? But it should not completely full with oil, only 2/3 right? so I do not understand where the oil came from and spill out from there.
Or do I not understand the function of this valve? I thought its's to compensate the oil/air inside the friction chase.

Guruman

Not so new member
The valve on top of the winch? Thatbyou can pull out with 2 fingers? But it should not completely full with oil, only 2/3 right? so I do not understand where the oil came from and spill out from there.
Or do I not understand the function of this valve? I thought its's to compensate the oil/air inside the friction chase.

It' has something to do with the automatic braking mechanism.... I think.

Maybe this will help as it's where I heard about that valve. Unless we are not referring to the same valve?

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It' has something to do with the automatic braking mechanism.... I think.

Maybe this will help as it's where I heard about that valve. Unless we are not referring to the same valve?

it's not the valve on the hydraulic motor. It's a small valve with a spring inside, quite easy to grab with 2 fingers and pull out the pin. it sits on top of the winch friction enclosure, near the winch drum, not on the hydr. motor.

Ronmar

Little thing on top of the gear case just outboard of the spool release lever? It is called a relief(part#13 on the 24P exploded diagram), it may be a vent for the gear case housing. I have not seen a spec for servicing the gear case, I am not sure how it is lubricated, but if you had a shaft seal leak on the hydraulic motor, it would pump the gear case full of oil and that oil would need someplace to escape. If you are getting oil out of it, it has to be coming from somewhere, and that somewhere is the motor shaft seal:)

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes right! Sorry about my bad english.
There's a TM about the winch maintenance, but nothing about the motor. Seems it's not serviceable, but I can't immagine that a hydr. motor is not serviceable.
What I don't understand is why leaks when winch is not in use, and under load it's almost the same. it should be much more under load if motor shaft seal is leaking...

I need to open it to understand why it's leaking. Let's hope the best!

Christian
Little thing on top of the gear case just outboard of the spool release lever? It is called a relief(part#13 on the 24P exploded diagram), it may be a vent for the gear case housing. I have not seen a spec for servicing the gear case, I am not sure how it is lubricated, but if you had a shaft seal leak on the hydraulic motor, it would pump the gear case full of oil and that oil would need someplace to escape. If you are getting oil out of it, it has to be coming from somewhere, and that somewhere is the motor shaft seal:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks