• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch installs

deucer

I need to post this in the for sale ads when I get a minute, but I have an extra one of these black 18k warn winches with wired control as removed from an MRAP. If anyone is interested send me a PM. I am in SE Ohio for pickup or I might entertain freight if the buyer pays. This is the one I installed and will take some pics of the one just like it when I post the ad (wanted to post a picture here anyways). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453460697.205530.jpg

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Action pic's. After i got out i used the winch to pull out the 5 ton.
I hadn't seen this thread before, but that was my 5 getting pulled and that winch pulled HARD! We had to put a second side pull on from BBQ Rod to keep from ripping the front suspension sideways. I was amazed at the outcome and frankly sceptical when we got started.

deucer

I hadn't seen this thread before, but that was my 5 getting pulled and that winch pulled HARD! We had to put a second side pull on from BBQ Rod to keep from ripping the front suspension sideways. I was amazed at the outcome and frankly sceptical when we got started.
Yeah, when I first got mine I was a little hesitant but these are rock solid......if mounted correctly.

dilligaf13

The original bolts they used when mounting them on the MRAPs were M12 - 10.9 flange head bolts. As Andy said though, I don't see you shearing a lower grade if you can't find 10.9s.

Something to note after install though...

Pay attention to the label on the side of the case for spooling direction. The overload protection only works one way, if equipped. Mine was spooled backwards, which would've left me unprotected from overloads.
Uncle Sam's elves were nice enough to paint over almost every label on my winch so I'll have to double check it using pictures on here.

I hope mine holds up to the bone crushing weight of my CUCV!
So you finally broke down and bought one or did you work out a horse trade, like usual....

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uncle Sam's elves were nice enough to paint over almost every label on my winch so I'll have to double check it using pictures on here.
20160122_081029.jpg

20160122_080916.jpg

Notice the arrow label and I included a distance picture so you can note orientation. You can have it spool from the top or the bottom per Warn, as long as it it spools in the right direction. It would need to be turned around from how I have it mounted to spool from the top. If spooling from the top, Warn recommends also using the vertical mounting bolts due to the extra load placed on the bottom bolts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine from Ken and Andy at the 2014 GA Rally. I did work out a swap.....for dead presidents.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 604586

View attachment 604587

Notice the arrow label and I included a distance picture so you can note orientation. You can have it spool from the top or the bottom per Warn, as long as it it spools in the right direction. It would need to be turned around from how I have it mounted to spool from the top. If spooling from the top, Warn recommends also using the vertical mounting bolts due to the extra load placed on the bottom bolts.
Hey Swamp, you have extra mount holes already drilled in your bumper for another winch. Maybe have the back one spool onto the front one and have a 36,000 pound killer winch.....Now that would be a conversation piece for sure.

dilligaf13

I got mine from Ken and Andy at the 2014 GA Rally. I did work out a swap.....for dead presidents.

Holy crap, you parted with cash. I fully expected you to have traded some old deuce, 5 ton or CUCV parts you forgot you even had for it. At least tell me you beat them up on the price or else I'll definitely know you're getting lax....

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy crap, you parted with cash. I fully expected you to have traded some old deuce, 5 ton or CUCV parts you forgot you even had for it. At least tell me you beat them up on the price or else I'll definitely know you're getting lax....
He did for sure. Practically gave it to him...... And felt good about it.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Swamp, you have extra mount holes already drilled in your bumper for another winch. Maybe have the back one spool onto the front one and have a 36,000 pound killer winch.....Now that would be a conversation piece for sure.
Funny story about that...

After I built the winch plate I needed to drill the holes. I figured I'd use the pattern they gave me on top of the bumper. Thought it'd be easier than using the bottom of the winch. You know...work smarter not harder.

Heh heh...yeah. That's actually a pattern for a winch with a shorter frame. I didn't find this out till after I had drilled ALL the holes and went to bolt down the winch. Let's just say that my winch plate is predrilled for a couple different winches, lol.

A better motto is: measure twice, cut once.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Swap were to sink his truck out into the swamp at the rally he'd need 36K of pull to get out.
I can probably make that happen. I've got 3 blocks and 175' of extra cable. Shoot, between chains and cable, I probably got enough to reach base camp from the swamp.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I more or less copied Andy and Ken's rear winch idea but I built a mount for fairlead so the rope would exit beneath the crossmember, saving me from cutting my bed.

Complete installation here: http://imgur.com/a/y8WKT

dilligaf13

So I'm working out the logistics for my rear winch, on my M813 bobber. I'm planning on simply mounting it on a plate that will be bolted to the top of the frame, at the rear of the truck. My issue is that it appears as though this winch was previously mounted between frame rails so the winch motor control pack will be at a weird angle, on my planned configuration. It'll be mounted at the angle it is shown, in the attached picture, and will feed from the bottom. Does anyone know if the winch control pack not being horizontal will cause any problems and does anyone have a owners manual for this beast? I see that I can rotate the motor in 90 degree increments but it doesn't appear to be an easy task. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen them mounted in all different configurations on MRAPs, with no attention paid to control box orientation. Everything has been filled with epoxy in the box so I don't see where it'd matter much. I have all the manuals and install documents. PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

Screenshot_2016-01-24-16-39-46.jpg

dilligaf13

Thanks. Yea I was looking at the data sheet it gives me just enough info to get myself in trouble. I was looking at Recvry4x4's inch yesterday and I noticed our thermal overloads are completely different. His has the in-line donut and mine is a stand alone box that you can see on the right side of my picture.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks