• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch issues on deuce

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Please don't take offense when someone points out a safety issue, we are not being b***holes about it. We need all our members alive and in good condition. I have been chided in the past, and have pointed out safety issues to others.
"Get home alive" is my motto.

Concur, "alive", everyone.

TM section better arranged? Absolutely!! I have access to other means of getting the TM's I need so I don't think I've every used the TM section on here after the first attempt or two.

I think you fail to see the point that we had two threads about the exact same issue at the same time both of which indicated deuce drivers that have not read the TM. That is a concern since it is a lot more than just how to you make the winch work.

gunboy1656

In my opinion, i personally would like to see an "expert" create a video of using a winch. Alot of people dont learn alot by reading, but by seeing how to do something.

And this does not only go for operation of the winch. could make a vid library of the operation of every part, like rebuilding parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have talked about doing a winch demo at one of the rallys. GA is the next one I will be attending and unlike last year, I might install a winch this time.

gunboy1656

well if you do put on a demo at the rally, then get someone to record it and post it cause there are alot like myself who cant afford to get to the rallies right now.

And same with installing the winch.

gunboy1656

Time lapse is still better then seeing it done by drawings in a book. Maybe just highlight important parts.

like you guys would not have fun making the vids for these.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll install it here before the rally. The last thing I want to do is waste 4 hours installing a winch at a rally.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck, with all the help you'd have, I bet it could be done in 3 hours!

I could try the deuce winch video, still having upload issues... GRRRR

rmgill

Well, if I make the next rally, I'll volunteer my truck and three snatch blocks for a demo of how the winches work.

jasonjc

OK it's been pointed out now by a few that the lever on the winch is just for free spooling it. And some have said theirs are had to get in or out. Hear are some pic of what the lever moves. I hope this will help some under stand better how this works,inside.

The frist 2 pic are the pice that the handel on the winch moves.
The next pic is the end of the winch drum.
The next 2 are of the fit between these 2 pices.
The frist pice slide back and forth on the shaft that truns the drum and locks the shaft to the drum or unlocks. As you can see there are only 2 place that it can lock together. And that it also is not made to lock/unlock under load. There is no "clutch" to it at all.

Attachments

Last edited: