• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch level winder

Sephirothq

I don't have any but there are a few winches for sale on GL now with the level winder and the tensioners. They are in Ohio, I won't post links as to not offend the SS gods.

YOu propbably are not looking for an entire winch but you mihgt be able to get one cheaper.
just an idea

Bjorn,
In response to your questions.
How well do they work? THey work fantastic, I use my winch on a regular basis and could not imagine not having the tensioner and level wind.
What's involved in getting the same result when you can't install one? Getting the same results without one requires establishing a way to load the winch rope and guide it into smooth lays on the drum. It is at least a 2 man job and can be dangerious.
The winch on the xm757 is installed up-side down.....If yu have the clearance the level wind will operate just fine upside-down, BUT you must have the tensioner for proper operation, with your winch installation the main roller from a typical system will have to replace the existing flair leads.
Is that the standard Garwood, 20k winch?
Hope this helps.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Squirt-Truck, that's what I suspected, it was mounted upside down to get the drive on the PTO side.
I'd like to see a level winder on top, but a special mounting bracket would have to be fabricated.
It is a standard 20K Garwood, the tag is down below.
I'm not actually in the market for a level wind at the moment, just looking ahead at the winch as a future project.

cranetruck said:
Thanks Squirt-Truck, that's what I suspected, it was mounted upside down to get the drive on the PTO side.
I'd like to see a level winder on top, but a special mounting bracket would have to be fabricated.
It is a standard 20K Garwood, the tag is down below.
I'm not actually in the market for a level wind at the moment, just looking ahead at the winch as a future project.
I wonder why they mounted that one upside down?
Is it hyd drive?
I can see what looks like a gear reduction box mounted on the driven end of the garwood.
looks like they rolled the thing over and flipped the drive around.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DaveP said:
I wonder why they mounted that one upside down?
Is it hyd drive?
I can see what looks like a gear reduction box mounted on the driven end of the garwood.
looks like they rolled the thing over and flipped the drive around.
The transmission PTO is on the right side so it's a straight shot to the front with the winch flipped over. The transmission shift linkages are on the left (auto tranny). It's not hydraulic.